Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

AC question

Visiting Guest

04-03-04, 07:57 AM   #1  
mgeubtn
AC question

I bought a used 2001 Hyundai Elantra. While driving it last summer I noticed the AC would not blow cold air while the engine idled. It blows sufficient cold air (even chilly) while the engine is tacking over 2000 rpm or more for an extended period of time. Is this just the design of a smaller 4 cylinder engine? I haven't owned a 4 cylinder in quite some time. Or does this AC system need more refrigerant?

It does have a 5 year warranty. I have a feeling the dealer will tell me it is not a warranty issue and will want to add more refrigerant (at a cost to me).

Sponsored Links

04-03-04, 10:19 AM   #2  
I can't vouch for Hyundai but GM pays for refrigerant under warranty repairs.I would call them and ask you are a customer of theirs.

04-03-04, 02:32 PM   #3  
It definately sounds like it has a problem and needs to be check. It could be low on freon or may have a weak compressor. Don't just add freon. Find the leak and repair it if it is low. You can stick a thermometor into the center vent with the A/C on max and high blower. It should be able to pull at least low 50's at idle or it has a problem. They always get a little colder when moving and the engine revving higher, that's normal.

04-03-04, 03:14 PM   #4  
Newer cars hold less refrigerant and it leaks easier compounding the problem.Dye testing doesn't work as well on 134 as 12 because of molecular structure.134 Will leak without any oil loss.R-12 almost always leaves an oil trail or stain but may only be visable with uv dye.If you are .25lbs low it could be the problem.A Geo tracker only holds1.00 lbs so losing .25 lbs is 25 percent loss.On a car that holds 2.0lbs the loss would be 12.5 percent of the total system charge.Im not sure of the charge on your car but I think it would be small 1.5lbs or less.

04-04-04, 01:54 AM   #5  
Originally posted by davo
Dye testing doesn't work as well on 134 as 12 because of molecular structure.134 Will leak without any oil loss.
That's very interesting. I never realized that. It makes sense.

Search this Thread