oil filter: if it fits, can I use it, even if it is for a different brand?

Old 04-03-04, 03:16 PM
edskee
Visiting Guest
Question oil filter: if it fits, can I use it, even if it is for a different brand?

I've got an oil filter for a ford product that is about the same size as the filter on my Toyota truck. Is there any reason not to use it? Aren't all filters about the same inside... sure they strain the oil, trap particles, and maintain some sort of oil pressure, but within any standard brand of filter, if two units are about the same size and they both thread on, why not use it? Thanks, -ed

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-04, 04:31 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
NO IT WONT WORK THATS WHY THEY MAKE DIFFERENT OIL FILTERS.SO IF ANYONE TELLS YOU WILL WORK TELL THEM TO BITE WHERE THE SUN DONT SHINE.ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES BETEWEEN AMERICAN MOTORS AND JAP MOTOR DONT BE STUPID

Old 04-03-04, 05:40 PM
Not the same

The size might be the same but the gasket might be diffrent and also the oil flow passages might not line up.

Old 04-04-04, 08:57 AM
edskee
Visiting Guest
Thanks, guys... I guess it would be easier on manufacturers if they could produce fewer different filter models that would service more different cars/engines. It was just a thought because I really don't trust corporate america to play fair with consumers... once again, thanks for the answers... -ed

Search this Thread