88 voyager--no spark

Old 04-03-04, 05:18 PM
reo
Visiting Guest
88 voyager--no spark

Help.... I have 88 plymouth Voyager 2.5 liter engine. Stalled one day, then started back up drove about 1 mile and it died. i have all accessories. I have replaced the following... Fuel filter. coil. ignition switch .dist cap and rotar. havlec switch under cap. All wires to cap and plugs. new battery. What am i missing? I have checked all belts including timing and still no spark. Thnaks for your response!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-04, 05:54 PM
Crank sensor if it has one. The ignition module but that may be built into the PCM

Old 04-03-04, 09:16 PM
Some Chrysler products have an Auto Shutdown Relay (ASD) located on the inside of the left fender behind the battery. There's three (or four) relays there, so you have to know which one is the ASD.

You can check it if you have the correct tech data and skills or just replace it (not too expensive) if you're feeling lucky.

HTH

Matt

PS The feed wire for the ASD (and others) goes through the PCM which is located next to the battery. The wire harness can be subjected to battery acid which wreaks havoc with the wiring.

Old 04-04-04, 12:35 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
some things to check:

check for constant 12 volts to the ignition coil when cranking the engine, it might be an orange (with green tracer) wire, or just blue.

check that same connector on the coil for a pulsing ground while cranking(it will be the other wire of the voltage) i like to use a test light clamped on the battery positive terminal, and the probe looking for ground in the connector.

can you see the fuel injector spraying fuel as you are cranking it? that will eliminte a few things being broken.

the only crank reference signal is inside the distributor, which i'm assuming is what is referred to as the "havlac switch under cap" it's proper name is the "distributor pickup". everything is wired to the computer, no spark module.

REO, post back with your results

Old 04-04-04, 09:33 AM
reo
Visiting Guest
Thanks... my next step is to replace the relays and hope for the best with this move. I will post my results.

Old 04-04-04, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you're just going to replace parts and hope for the best, start with the distributor pickup. It's cheap enough, and 90% of the time that's what's wrong with a 2.5 when it doesn't spark.

Old 04-06-04, 02:49 AM
reo
Visiting Guest
Hello again! I have replaced the distributor pickup and still no spark. I have replaced the following. ignition switch-fuel filter-distributor cap and rotar-ignition coil. My next step is to figure which relay is the auto shutdown relay. I will post back. Thanks again

Old 04-06-04, 02:57 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
why don't you measure the voltages at the coil like i asked of you? also check for the pulsing ground.

this will pinpoint the problem

Old 04-17-04, 12:43 PM
reo
Visiting Guest
Sorry for delay.

Checked with light @ coil. Both show voltage for .5 sec while cranking. then dead. Have to turn key to off position before re-cranking to see voltage for .5 sec.

Also have replaced computer and still no spark. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If asd is suspected, where is it located? Which relay is it?

thanks rob!

Old 04-18-04, 12:45 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
you're running out of things to replace. pretty soon you'll have a new car.

IS THE FUEL INJECTOR SPRAYING FUEL, while you are trying to start it?

the asd is one of the relays behind the battery, and it's in a different place every year. without a book for your exact year, no one knows which one it is. perhaps the way you've approached the diagnosis already, maybe you should replace them all.

then after that, you can check for a pulsing ground signal at the ignition coil connector.

side note: have you checked the marks for the timing belt? the belt could be tight, but the teeth could be stripped.

Old 04-18-04, 08:52 AM
Don't know why he didn't check the ASD first (see my earlier post) before replacing the PCM.

Although a PCM can occasionally cause a no start, it's not high on the list of usual suspects.

Matt