newb... changing oil, is it safe for me to try???

Old 04-03-04, 08:06 PM
Paladyr
Visiting Guest
newb... changing oil, is it safe for me to try???

I just bought a new 2004 Honda Accord . Is it safe to change my own oil??? Is there a place I can go for instructions on how to do it??? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-04, 09:05 PM
Changing your own oil

Absolutely!

I think this is a BASIC DIY that everyone should know how to do.

I would suggest, however, you have someone who has already done this walk you through it.

Since this is a new car, I'd also suggest buying the oil filter from Honda. That's what I do. They're about $6-7 bucks each, but well worth it IMHO.

You can get oil anywhere. Oil prices are pretty standard. I usually buy mine by the case at Wal-Mart. I'd suggest Castrol in the appropriate weight.

Biggest problem with oil changes is making sure the old rubber
O-ring comes off with the old filter. Just check the filter to make sure the old ring comes off. You don't want two O-rings on there or you'll have a leak FOR SURE.

As for instructions, you should be able to purchase a Haynes or Chilton book at your local parts store.

HTH

Matt

Old 04-04-04, 01:49 AM
It's not a hard job at all but you do need drive into your head the importance of checking your work and how costly a mistake like not tightening the oil plug or not installing the oil filter properly can be. A mistake there can cost an engine. Just get in a habit of rechecking those things and you'll be fine.

Old 04-04-04, 04:25 AM
Always use a Honda filter and change the drain plug gasket.Most honda dealers tape the gasket to the filter and sell them together.At least around here they do.Word about filters,if you use an aftermarket filter and an engine failure is traced back to the filter you lose,meaning no warranty.If the aftermarket filter says meets or exceeds oem you still lose.The battle for your money then goes to the filter manufacturer after you pay for the repair.I could elaborate but lets just say newer design engines require a good filter(oem if under warranty)or bad things can happen.

Old 04-04-04, 10:21 AM
Although your car is new, get in the habit of running your fingers around all four CV joint boots to check for splits or grease leakage. They are usually cone shaped rubber accordian covers at each end of the two drive shafts. Finding a split boot is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the CV joint which one would eventually have to do if a split boot is not replaced in time. Only take a few seconds to perform the check. Saved me some big bucks!

Old 04-04-04, 10:41 AM
Personally I have a shop do it. I'm a big DIYer, but it's just too much of a hassle to properly dispose of the used oil.

Old 04-04-04, 10:49 AM
You funnel it into a milk jug and take it to Autozone, Advanced Auto supply or probably lots of others. They take it and have it recycled for free whether you buy anything there or not.

$5 for a filter
$7.50 for 5 quarts of oil

$12.50 total

What are you paying at Jiffy lube these days? Plus the shot of testosterone (or estrogen as the case may be) for having done it yourself!

Old 04-04-04, 11:01 AM
Not to mention the questionable quality of the work at the quick lube places, eh?

One place out here (shall remain nameless) left the cap off a co-worker's car and when called on it said, "No problem, come on back, we've got a 5-gallon bucket of 'em here".

Use a quick lube place? NOT!

Matt

Old 04-04-04, 12:52 PM
Still not worth it. My truck goes no where near any of those places, it get's it's oil change at the Dodge dealer for $19. I get no satisfaction from changing my own oil, saving $7 is not enough incentive to do it.
Now saving over $200 in parts and labor for a rear brake job and rear shocks on the wife's Rodeo, THAT is incentive... $7?, not worth the hassles.

For those that enjoy it, great! Everyone should do what they like to do, maintaining your own vehicle can save $$ and give satisfaction.

Old 04-04-04, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by joeneedshelp
Finding a split boot is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the CV joint which one would eventually have to do if a split boot is not replaced in time. Only take a few seconds to perform the check. Saved me some big bucks!
Not really. The extra labor involved to disassemble the joint from the shaft equals out to the inexpensive cost of complete axles these days. We don't even bother with boots any more. It's not worth it.

Old 04-04-04, 02:26 PM
I don't understand? If you find a split boot, you cut it off and buy one that has a screw together seam. You can replace the boot without taking the shaft off. Usually just involves removing the wheel.

Old 04-04-04, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by joeneedshelp
I don't understand? If you find a split boot, you cut it off and buy one that has a screw together seam. You can replace the boot without taking the shaft off. Usually just involves removing the wheel.
You can take that split boot and use it to put your cereal in for breakfast. That's about all that thing is good for. They are useless junk. A 1 piece boot installed from the shaft side is the only way to do that correctly. those split boots are just a gimmick and worthless.

Old 04-04-04, 06:48 PM
pagerboy
Visiting Guest
I brought my car to dealership for $16 taxes in for an oilchange.
Now that I have a truck I bring it to a quick lube place. The truck has been brought there since it was new.
If they screw up I can sue and get a new motor.