Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mitsubishi Eclipse Tail Pipe Smoke

Visiting Guest

04-03-04, 09:50 PM   #1  
RookieRookie
Mitsubishi Eclipse Tail Pipe Smoke

I have a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse, 2.0L non-turbo, fuel injection car. The problem is that there are visible smoke with pungent smell coming out of the tail pipe. There seems to be more smoke if I am in a traffic jam where the vehicle is stopped and ran at low speeds.

Previously, I have done the following to this car:
- Changed PCV valve
- Checked and change some hoses
- Put in fuel injector cleaner, carburetor cleaner into the gas tank
- Took out the throttle body and clean (with carburetor cleaner) the throttle plate, air by-pass thoroughly
- Measured the IAC motor, and it is within specification
- Measured the TPS sensor, and it is within specification, and it moves smoothly between fully on and fully off.
- Changed new set of spark plugs
- Changed new set of spark plug (distributor) wires
- The timing belt has been changed about 2 years ago.
Any suggestion as to what may be the problem(s), and what to check ?
Thank you very much,
Rookie.

Sponsored Links

04-03-04, 11:03 PM   #2  
What color smoke?
Black, grey, white...
Pungent=not sweet, right?
Sour, or downright stinky, yes?

Visiting Guest

04-05-04, 12:14 AM   #3  
RookieRookie
Not quite sure how to describe the color, more like grey or light black. Antifreeze smell sweat to me, don't know how it smell like after burning. This smoke smell is quite pungent, more like rotten egg or sulphur.
Could you please tell me
1) if antifreeze, what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell like ?
2) if lubricating oil, what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell ?
3) If mixture too rich, what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell ?
4) if XXX what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell ?

Thanks much,
Rookie.

04-05-04, 05:20 PM   #4  
Originally posted by RookieRookie
Could you please tell me
1) if antifreeze, what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell like ?
2) if lubricating oil, what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell ?
3) If mixture too rich, what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell ?
4) if XXX what would the color of the smoke and how would it smell ?
Kinda sounds like your describing #3. If it were coolant or oil, you would definately find a good amount missing which you didn't mention. Coolant smoke would be white, more like steam with a sweet smell. Oil would be blueish gray. Hard to describe the smell if you've never smelled oil burning. Fuel would be more black. the smell would be about what your describing, like sulpher and tends to burn your eyes.
How is it running?

Search this Thread