Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 S-10 V6 Trans problem

PA

04-04-04, 10:01 AM   #1  
97 S-10 V6 Trans problem

We recently(yesterday) purchased a 97 Chevy S-10 pick-up with a 4.3 V6 and 82K on it. We have a 1 month, 1000 mile warranty for the engine, trans and rear.

The dealer/mechanic said he went over the whole truck and fixed many things. Among them are new brakes fr and back, fuel pump/filter,battery, two shocks, serp. belt and oil change with new inspection.

The problem is I noticed tranny fluid leaking onto the driveway today. I checked the fluid (for the 1st time) and didn't like what I saw. The inside of the tube is all rusty and the fluid has black flakes in it. The trans seems to shift Ok but there is some kind of vibration when you get it up around 55 that I thought might have been tire related.

This is probably the first used car I have purchased that I didn't check the fluid 1st!!!

What do you think I can expect from the dealer? He has already wined about having to fix so much and selling the truck cheap.($4200). Should I say something like"Didn't you check the tranny fluid?" or just complain about the leak and see what he says. Does the black flakes means that its burnt? Does the rusty tube mean a major problem?

thanks,
Harry

Sponsored Links

WV

04-04-04, 10:19 AM   #2  
The rust could just mean that the truck has been sitting for awhile while the repairs were being done, or he has been sitting on it for sometime for whatever reason. The black flakes are suspect, but a more detailed description would be needed to make a determination on that. Or just have another mechanic take a look at it for s second opinion before you go back and blast him. The vibration could be tire related, you really didnt get into it very much so we cant assume its anything other than that. Check it over real good, and soon, then go back armed with your findings.
Good Luck!
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

PA

04-04-04, 11:08 AM   #3  
Originally posted by billys68ss
The rust could just mean that the truck has been sitting for awhile while the repairs were being done, or he has been sitting on it for sometime for whatever reason. The black flakes are suspect, but a more detailed description would be needed to make a determination on that. Or just have another mechanic take a look at it for s second opinion before you go back and blast him. The vibration could be tire related, you really didnt get into it very much so we cant assume its anything other than that. Check it over real good, and soon, then go back armed with your findings.
Good Luck!
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy
I don't know how to decribe the black flakes anymore than pin head up to maybe an 1/8" long. and many. The stick is rusty also but only the top half.I was really worried about the rust being I've never seen it before on another vehicle.

As far as the vibration goes he told me about it before I picked it up and said they rebalanced the tires. The tires are 235/75 R15's and a little aggressive. Its more of a body shake than a steering wheel shake which I would blame on the tires.

I'll call another garage and get them to check it out.

thanks

PA

04-04-04, 01:30 PM   #4  
I heard that if you change the trans fluid when its burn't you will wreck the trans. Is that true?

WV

04-04-04, 01:48 PM   #5  
If a transmission is slipping then it already has internal problems and changing the fluid and or filter can be the final straw.
Billy

04-04-04, 05:07 PM   #6  
You will need to find the leak as soon as possible and repair it.The dipstick issue is covered under bulletin #99-07-30-004a.Your local dealer can order the parts for you.Basically you change the dipstick tube,dipstick and change the trans fluid then your done.

PA

04-04-04, 06:39 PM   #7  
Originally posted by davo
You will need to find the leak as soon as possible and repair it.The dipstick issue is covered under bulletin #99-07-30-004a.Your local dealer can order the parts for you.Basically you change the dipstick tube,dipstick and change the trans fluid then your done.
Thanks!!! I'll relay that info to them tomorrow.

thanks again,
H

PA

04-05-04, 03:37 PM   #8  
Originally posted by davo
The dipstick issue is covered under bulletin #99-07-30-004a.Your local dealer can order the parts for you.Basically you change the dipstick tube,dipstick and change the trans fluid then your done.
Ok, my bad, it wasn't trans fluid leaking it was pink anti freeze from a bad water pump. The garage replaced the water pump and checked the trans fluid. He said its fine and that the flakes are just rust from the tube and stick.

My new questions are should I replace the tube and stick? If the rust gets into the trans fluid is that OK? A "Bulletin" is just a recommendation not a recall where they would pay for it right?
Is this an easy do it yourselfer replacing the tube?

thanks,
H

04-05-04, 05:32 PM   #9  
Originally posted by Gonegolfin

My new questions are should I replace the tube and stick? If the rust gets into the trans fluid is that OK? A "Bulletin" is just a recommendation not a recall where they would pay for it right?
Is this an easy do it yourselfer replacing the tube?

thanks,
H
Yes, I think you should replace the tube. It's not that hard. Usually one bolt through a brace on the engine and an O ring at the bottom.
You wouldn't get a recall for that because recalls are made for 2 reasons, safety or emissions and that doesn't sound like either. A bulletin, TSB they're called is an internal memo advising of a known issue with instructions of how to proceed with the problem whether it be on warranty or not.

PA

04-05-04, 06:57 PM   #10  
Originally posted by Desi501

Yes, I think you should replace the tube. It's not that hard. Usually one bolt through a brace on the engine and an O ring at the bottom.
You wouldn't get a recall for that because recalls are made for 2 reasons, safety or emissions and that doesn't sound like either. A bulletin, TSB they're called is an internal memo advising of a known issue with instructions of how to proceed with the problem whether it be on warranty or not.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll give it a try when it gets nice out.

H

04-06-04, 04:34 AM   #11  
I have not seen a trans failure related to this condition so far but if it were mine I would fix it.If it's out of warranty it will not be no charge.Just make sure they look up the bulletin to order the updated parts.It will get to the point where removing the dipstick from the tube will be difficult to check the fluid level.

Search this Thread