Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Changing Brakes

Visiting Guest

04-04-04, 08:43 PM   #1  
helper94
Changing Brakes

Hello,

I have a 1999 Infiniti I30 (non Touring) with 71K and still have the original brakes on them, with no problems that I can tell so far. However, I've been reading consumer digest that says the "average" life of brake pads are 30-40K and calipers 70K. At my last dealer check (67 K), they didn't mention any problems with my brakes. I accelerate and brake very slowly, this may be why they've lasted so long.

Complicating factors is that I'm moving to Guam in three months for a three year work tour, and have heard that parts are very hard to get over there.

So I'm basically deciding whether to replace them before I leave, or to buy the parts here and take them with me, and pay someone for labor only to replace them. A related question is whether I need to just replace the pads or the calipers as well.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-05-04, 05:32 PM   #2  
fordman30
my suggestion is if the brakes are less than 50% i would go ahead and change them and the calipers too.just to be on the safe side.it will save you money in the long run i think.

04-05-04, 05:37 PM   #3  
I would expect that you would have to be real close on the brake pads by now and would go ahead and change then and resurface or replace the rotors. As far as the calipers are concerned, 70K sounds really early for that. Of course anything can have a problem early but I rarely see a caliper problem under 100K and see many with 200K and still working fine. Have them inspected for any problems but I doubt you'll find any.

04-06-04, 06:42 PM   #4  
To minimize the possibility of a leaking master cylinder, caliper, or wheel cylinder, the brake fluid should be changed as a maintenance item. Many people do not know this or do this. Brake fluid in the system will absorb moisture which will accelerate corrosion on aluminum and rust in cast iron or steel. Which will result in a leak.

Some maunfactures like Honda show it as a regular maintenance item and some manufacturers do not mention it. Just because a manufacture does not list it as a maintenance item do not think their vehicles are immune from leaks due to corrosion caused by moisture in the system.

Honda recomends new brake fluid every 2 years. Changing brake fluid is something many do it your selfers can do. But do not think you are also changing the fluid in the ABS system if the vehicle has one. It takes special equipment to flush the fluid through the ABS.

ABS systems can be damaged by contaminated fluid and are VERY expensive to repair/replace.

The most contaminated fluid in the system will be found in the caliper. It is highly recomended that you do not compress the caliper piston and allow the old fluid to go back into the system and risk contaminating the ABS components. You should always open the bleed screw, attach small diameter tubing to the bleed screw and allow the old fluid to flow into a container as you push the piston back into the caliper, then dispose of the old fluid.

If you have not priced ABS componets you may be suprised just how VERY VERY expensive they are.

Visiting Guest

04-16-04, 05:18 PM   #5  
helper94
Thank you all for your opinions. Do you have any on ceramic vs "regular" brakes, specifically in terms of length of life of the part?

04-16-04, 05:27 PM   #6  
Originally posted by helper94
Thank you all for your opinions. Do you have any on ceramic vs "regular" brakes, specifically in terms of length of life of the part?
I would readily recommend ceramic for almost every application except maybe yours. In my experience Nissan made vehicles have the most problems with noise. You might be able to use them with no problem but I think in your case I might go for the OE pads to avoid the big potential for noise problems.

Search this Thread