Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cougar transmission shifting

Visiting Guest

04-07-04, 09:00 AM   #1  
malibu0080
cougar transmission shifting

HI , I recently replaced the transmission in a 83 cougar and the transmission came out of an 85 tbird but they are both the same c-5 transmission. Everything is working fine but when putting the linkage for the gears it wont catch park. Shifting all the way up on the collumn is reverse and ive tried adjusting what seems to be the neutral safety switch and it seemed to work a couple of times that i tried going through the gears but now it only catches drive second and first. Please help this is my first time doing something major like a transmission on a ford and cant find the problem.
thanks for any advice or help

malibu0080

Sponsored Links

04-07-04, 09:33 AM   #2  
Compare the cable and linkage from the old trans to the new one. One possibility is the shift lever is shorter/longer changing the amount of throw. The nuetral safety switch only locks out the starter and has no control what gear you actually go into. Look for and adjustment for the cable itself at either the top or the bottom. Something may have been different in the linkage between those 2 vehicles.

Search this Thread