neel help

Old 04-07-04, 04:12 AM
tebe
Visiting Guest
neel help

my proble is i accidently put diesle fuel in my gasolinne vehichle, $10 worth. I plan on syphoning out as much as I can and add reg gas. will that work? anyone have any other suggestions? thank you (97 breeze)

Old 04-07-04, 04:29 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may have to remove the tank to get the fuel out most modern tanks have an anti siphon valve in them.I would then add gasoline after reinstalling the tank,remove the fuel line where it goes to the fuel rail and crank the engine until I had gas coming out instead of diesel.Use safety precautions while doing this like catching the fuel in a container.The reattach the fuel line,I would consider replacing the fuel fiter while your at it.Don't attempt to drive the car have it towed to the repair location.Btw aren't diesel fuel nozzles bigger than the unleaded gas ones at the pump?

Old 04-07-04, 09:37 AM
Siphoning won't get out enough. You really need to drop the fuel tank and empty it completely and as Davo said, change the fuel filter.

Old 04-07-04, 11:21 AM
If you don't get all the Diesel out you wiil ruin the catalytic convertor.

Old 04-07-04, 11:39 AM
tebe
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for responding. I had a difficult time syphoning and just happened to notice a drainplug underneath on the gas tank. I was able to drain entire tank till it no longer dripped. i added fuel injector cleaner and fresh gas. I will replace the fuel filter as soon as I'm comfortable the deisel remenant is gone. So far, I havent' had any trouble, have noticed slight hesitation here and there. I'm hoping after a tank of treated gas and a new filter will solve my problem...any thoughts?
Thanks again for everyones info

Old 04-07-04, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by tebe
I'm hoping after a tank of treated gas and a new filter will solve my problem...any thoughts?
Thanks again for everyones info
It's too late now, but we would have advised you to swish some gas around the tank and drain it again and change the fuel filter before starting the engine. The fuel filter and lines were full of diesel that could have been removed before running it.

Old 04-07-04, 09:46 PM
P
I was just curious,
I've been working around cars most of my life, but I've never seen a gas tank with a drain plug.
When did they start this and what type of cars are they on.
Sounds like it would make taking a tank down a lot easier.

Old 04-07-04, 10:22 PM
tebe
Visiting Guest
97 plymouth breeze...it is a white plastic type plug. i was surprised how easy it came off. i feel so lucky I was able to take care of this without removing tank.

also to desi...i never started vehicle after I realized what I had done...i pushed it off to the side and draained it there. I do agree I should have added some gas and drained again before starting.

This site has been extremly informative and I have already recommened it to others...Thanks everyone

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: