Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 kia automatic, can't put in gear

Visiting Guest

04-07-04, 11:20 PM   #1  
redneeckgirl
98 kia automatic, can't put in gear

HELP!!!

I have a 98 Kia Sephia 4D, FWD, 4 Cyl. 1.8 Liter, Automatic Transmission.

To start, I've had the car parked in driveway and not moved or started since march '03. I replaced the battery today as it would not start. With the new battery in the car starts up now but has very little gas left to 'tinker'.

The car has a safety shift lock feature on it that has been gummed up by spilled pop since early '02. After I started the car I tried to put into gear but shift lock was jammed, I tried the hex key in the tiny access hole the mechanic showed me back in '02 but that wouldnt work, the shifter button still wouldnt depress. I then raised the center console area high enough so that I could look under and find why shift lock was jammed. I found the 'lever' that controls the shift lock and moved it back n forward a coupla times and then I was able to put the hex key in again and it successfully moved the shift lock lever and I was able to press in the button on the stick.

Now that I have that working I cannot move the stick out of park. The stick feels very tight (like pulling a large uncooperative nail out of a thick wood beam).
I looked under console as I was pulling on the stick (yes button was depressed and shift lock was unlocked) I saw two 'rods' pulling out of 'sleeves' and at end of stick was a pin setteled between grooves of a metal wheel with 'spokes'. The pin would slide down the groove it was in but not leave it. I can put more force on it that mabye it would slide out of the groove but I didnt think that was a good idea as I have no clue if it's supposed to be the pin switching grooves or the wheel moving.

Is there something I can do to fix this myself.... use more force, spray with lube etc. or should I call in a tow to bring it to the shop?

I hope I gave you enough details but if there's something else I left out or my descriptions are bad let me know. I appreciate any help I can get with this matter. :-)

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

04-08-04, 08:19 AM   #2  
One possibility is that gravity on the car is causing excess pressure on the park mechanism in the tranny after sitting for so long. Is the driveway flat or have a slope? If flat, probably not the problem. Also, if the parking brake has been on the entire time, that's probably not the problem. Either way, what you might try is moving the car slightly back and forth while trying to shift (will require assistance). If there is a slope to the drive, you may need to push gently with another vehicle. Gently and not very far; I'm talking about an inch or so, just enough to remove any strain that may be on the tranny. Another way to check it out would be to disconnect the linkage at the tranny. This is a little more involved, but not very difficult. CAUTION: BEFORE DOING THIS YOU MUST BLOCK THE WHEELS AND/OR HAVE THE PARKING BRAKE WELL SET. Locate the linkage on the transmission. May have to do some hunting, but it should be on top of the tranny housing and will be a lever of some sort with the linkage attached. Most linKAges will either just pop off with a little pressure or there may be a nut that has to be removed first.. Once you get the linakge end off the tranny arm, attempt to move the arm. It should move fairly freely, but may stick some coming out of park if there is any strain on the tranny as noted above. If it moves okay you've narrowed it down to the shifter assembly. Beyond that you may need a mechanic.

Moving cars that will not shift out of park is a fairly common job for towing companies. A lot of people have no idea how to override the shift lock, so you're ahead of the game by that much.

Good luck.

Visiting Guest

04-09-04, 07:50 PM   #3  
redneeckgirl
My driveway is almost as close to level as most do get and the parking brake has been off the entire time.

I tried moving the car lightly back n forward as you said on the first day while driver tried to shift, but the car wouldn't move or rock AT ALL.

The next day I gave it another try with another driver trying to shift while I pushed, he put a little more pressure on pulling the stick than the previous one did and the more pulling the driver did the better the car started rocking. Finally the car did go into Reverse and the stick would move back as far as Drive but.... it was stuck in Reverse gear even when stick was in Drive position.

After about 10 or more times pulling forward and back on stick, the stick will go back all the way but, the car is now stuck in Drive no matter what position stick is in. We ran out of daylight by now since we got started very late and the tranny is still in drive, the stick in park, the parking brake on, and keys stuck in ignition as of course they only come out when tranny is in park.

BTW... don't know if this holds any importance but the tires are very very low. I wonder if that could be contributing on the pressure on the tranny. We're gonna air up the tires tomorrow and try again. Also I'm gonna have a friend look at the linkage stuff you were referring to in your post. Hopefully some of these new symptoms will give you more info as to what remedy is needed. Thank you for the help, hope to hear from you again soon! :-)

Group Moderator

FL

04-10-04, 06:38 AM   #4  
I'm guessing that you have a linkage problem, but the confirmation will be by disconnecting it at the tranny as described previously to see if the transmission itself shifts freely. Besides the flat tires, the other factor in the car being hard to move (once you have it out of Park) would be that your brakes have rusted somewhat. Very common on cars that sit for extended period of time. Once you get it to roll a little, they'll free up.

Search this Thread