Dodge

Old 04-09-04, 10:30 PM
daniel
Visiting Guest
Dodge

i HAVE A 1994 dODGE 1500/2 WHEEL DRIVE WITH A (5.2)MOTOR I RECENTLY HAD THE TRANNY REBUILT AND IN REINSTALLING IT THE CRANK POSITIONING SENSOR WAS BROKEN SO I GOT A NEW ONE ALSO A NEW TORQUE CONVERTOR AND NOW IT WON'T IDLE I PUT A NEW OXYGEN SENSOR IN AND A NEW BATTERY AND SOMEONE SAID IT MIGHT BE A VACUUM LEAK SO I PULLED OFF THE VACUUM LINE FOR THE PVC VALVE AND IT IDLED UP SO I THOUGHT I FIXED IT BUT WHEN I DROVE IT IT STILL WAS STALLING AT A STOP MIGHT IT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE TRANNY BECAUSE IT DIDN'T START TO DO THIS UNTIL I REPLACED THE TRANNY ALSO IT IS NOT MAKING THE ENGINE LITE COME ON AND I EVEN TURNED THE KEY THREE TIMES TO FLASH THE CODES BUT IT ONLY GIVES ME A #55 WHICH MEANS NO FAULTS FOUND i'M AT MY WITS END PLEASE HELP

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-09-04 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-04, 11:29 PM
go buy a can of carb cleaner, remove the air cleaner housing from the engine and while running the engine at about 2000 rpm spray carb cleaner around the throttle plates removing any carbon buildup around the throttle plates that is restricting airflow by the throttle plate when its closed.

Old 04-09-04, 11:33 PM
Avoid capital letters

Please avoid typing in all caps. On internet forums this is considered to be poor etiquette, because it is the equivalent of yelling.

Old 04-10-04, 08:11 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
BJ has you pointed in the right direction, and it never hurts to have clean throttle blades. right next to the throttle blades(on the throttle body), is the opening for the AIS motor, make sure to spray a bunch into that little hole too.

if that doesn't help, turn the key off, plug back in all your vacuum hoses, take off the negative battery terminal from the battery and hold it against your positive terminal for 30 seconds. reattach and tighten the negative and it should reset all the idle memories.

if the battery is weak(even if it's new), and you hear the engine crank slow, that is what is causing the problem. you need a fully charged battery or things like this happen(the learned idle memory gets way out of specs)

let us know what you find/do to fix it.

Old 04-10-04, 10:30 AM
daniel
Visiting Guest
well i tried your tip nj and it didn't work. I tried the battery cable thing also. I was charging the new battery I got yesterday all nite. when you first start it up (maybe something to do with getting hotter) it runs great but when you drive it for about 30 minutes it starts to act up (sputtering, pinging, and backfiring) thanx

Old 04-10-04, 10:45 AM
well with those symptoms of sputtering , pinging, i would suggest checking fuel pressure to see if its losing pressure after it warms up.
does it backfire throught the exhaust or intake? have you moved the distributer any in any of the work you have done to it.

Old 04-11-04, 02:13 AM
daniel
Visiting Guest
to me I would think it would be electrical because of the backfiring . I even took the throttle body off and cleaned it. also I cleaned where the a.c.i. is . I wonder if it could be that because of the vacuum choking it or could it be the e.g.r. vavle somebody said maybe the catalitic convertor could be plugged. Well i'm still fiddling with it and taking it on drives just to get me more aggrevated sseee yyyyaaaaa

Old 04-11-04, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by daniel
to me I would think it would be electrical because of the backfiring . I even took the throttle body off and cleaned it. also I cleaned where the a.c.i. is . I wonder if it could be that because of the vacuum choking it or could it be the e.g.r. vavle somebody said maybe the catalitic convertor could be plugged. Well i'm still fiddling with it and taking it on drives just to get me more aggrevated sseee yyyyaaaaa
Daniel, you need to listen to these guys because they are pointing you in the right direction and your idea's are WAY off. None of what your speeking of will cause those symptoms. This all started with a damaged crank sensor. Check to see if the bracket got bent and the air gap is incorrect for the crank sensor. If they pulled it hard enough to damage the sensor, then they likely bent the bracket.

Old 04-11-04, 04:37 PM
daniel
Visiting Guest
I wasn't too far off I found the problem to be a bad coil wire, because your strongest spark is at idle and backfiring is usually caused from electrical being shut off and turned back on again . I really appreciate everybody's help Thank you

Old 04-11-04, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by daniel
I even took the throttle body off and cleaned it. also I cleaned where the a.c.i. is . I wonder if it could be that because of the vacuum choking it or could it be the e.g.r. vavle somebody said maybe the catalitic convertor could be plugged.
This is what i was referring to. Glad you found it.