1998 Neon Problem

Old 04-10-04, 04:00 AM
bubbas1
Visiting Guest
1998 Neon Problem

My son just got his first car. Its a 1998 Neon Sport 2.0. It idles at 1000rpms.The only problem we are having with it is when you turn on the heater(blower) The rpms will start to fluctuate between 300-400rpms and there is a clicking sound coming from the motor like something is cycling on and off. Also when shifting gears (and the heater is on) the rpms seem to hang at the shifting point for a few seconds and then slowly fall.

Without the heater(blower) on it runs perfect.

Temp is always normal. When we first got it the antifreeze was low so I topped it off. It hasnt went down at all since.

The only thing I could think of was something was gummed up because the car sat in a garage for 6 months before we bought it. Added injector cleaner to tank. Still have problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-04, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Possibility the ac compressor is cycling. It would cause a clicking as the clutch engages and would also affect the engine speed. With the hood up, watch the ac compressor and see if the clutch is cycling.

Old 04-10-04, 06:44 AM
bubbas1
Visiting Guest
Just went outside and checked. It is the ac compresser cycling. What is causing this and how do I get it to stop. (Besides disconnecting it) It cycles every 2 seconds. I take it that this is also what is causing the rpms to hang between shifts because it dosent do it without the ac compressor cycling.

Thanks

Old 04-10-04, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Going to have to talk in general terms here until one of the pro's comes along.

The operation you describe may be normal for that make/model. Even though you probably are a few months from needing air conditioning (been there; I'm originally from just outside Milwaukee), one of the things the ac does is dehumidify. What this does is keep the inside of the windows from fogging up. You can try simply disconnecting the wire running to the compressor, which will stop it from cycling, to see if foggy windows is more annoying than the cycling.

Old 04-10-04, 08:01 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the compressor will cycle like that when it's very low on freon. as a temporary fix, you can unplug the compressor wire(easier to get from the bottom) or pull the fuse from the underhood fuse center.

it also shouldn't idle at 1000, after you disable the a/c system, see if it goes to normal, which should be around 700-800 rpm. try a tank of fresh gas and see if that helps too.

Old 04-10-04, 08:21 PM
bubbas1
Visiting Guest
Thanks mike..I am sure that it is low on freon. Would you happen to know if this car would take the new freon or would it still be the old stuff. The tag under the hood is wore down so I cant read it. The neighbor has some of the new kind so I am hoping this is what it takes so he can give it a re-charge.

I will update tommorow after I unplug the compressor.

Old 04-11-04, 04:02 AM
Yes, that should use the (new) R134A freon. The fittings are different for the two anyway. Filling it will only be a temporary fix as the leak has to be repaired. Continuous recharging will eventually damage the compressor from lack of oil. Take it to a reputable A/C shop and let them leak check and diagnose it. That's usually $30 or less. Then you can make an informed decision on what to do. They can fill it to the proper level when they check it. Charging it yourself can cause serious damage if you overcharge it.

Old 04-11-04, 06:40 PM
bubbas1
Visiting Guest
Desi..thanks for the info. We will take it in and get it checked out right.
Took the fuse out for the a/c compressor and it stopped the annoying clicking and the rpms dont hang anymore when shifting.

It still idles at 1000rpm. What do I adjust to lower it? Thanks

Old 04-11-04, 09:50 PM
Technically speaking, the idle isn't adjustable on fuel injected/TBI cars. It is, but usually requires drilling out the cap that is installed over the adjustment screw at the factory and disabling the computers control of the idle while the adjustment is made.

Check the air filter first, no telling when it's been changed, also check all the vacuum lines.

And unless you had the knob set to AC or defrost, the AC shouldn't be running, regardless of the temperature setting.

Old 04-12-04, 03:12 AM
bubbas1
Visiting Guest
Had the knob set on defrost.

Changed air filter as soon as we got the car.

I am gonna take the car in to have the idle checked out.

On a side note....I would like to say that this is an extremely helpful site. Ive looked over other things on this board and I am truly impressed. The moderators and everyone else that answer questions do so without guessing. (hope that makes sense)
Thanks again.

Old 04-15-04, 06:05 AM
bubbas1
Visiting Guest
Here is an update.

We took the car in yesterday and it was low on freon. They couldnt find any leaks so it was topped off and the problem is now gone.