Worth taking to a shop? Or should I just do it?

Old 04-10-04, 10:26 AM
moeron
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Worth taking to a shop? Or should I just do it?

Hello there...
I just have a question about the difficulty of a pretty spacific job.. I need to replace the Exhaust Manifold gasket on a 87 Camaro 5.0 and they are asking 230.00 to do the job at my mechanic. But if all it needs to have done is just replace the gasket then I feel this is not beyond me.. Anyone ever perform the repair? any pointers?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-04, 11:19 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: moe.ron Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site

Replacing the gaskets is a good diy project. Having the right tools and being able to contort yourself into the positions required to access the bolts, etc is a great learning experience.

So long as one does not bust a bolt off in the engines head, all should go well... The mechanic pros should concer...

If one just happens to bust a bolt off, an easy out or similar tool would than be needed. Knowing how to use that specialty tools helps too.

Tip:
Clean the threads of all removed bolts prior to reinstalling them. Some say a drop of oil on the threads helps too. Having a torque wrench is best to use too.

"My Two Cents"

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Old 04-10-04, 08:03 PM
Also try and get the gaskets were the outermost bolt holes aren't holes (in the gasket), but slots
When it comes time to install them you start the outer bolts to hold up the manofold, then drop in the gasket in that space you have with the slots sliding over the outer bolts
Then start the inner bolts making sure they go through the holes in the gasket
If your gasket doesn't have these slots you can make them with a couple of cuts
It's a big help

Old 04-11-04, 09:09 AM
Don't remove the exhaust manifolds unless you have 2 spreaders or you will never get them back on.They are a bear to do on your car so don't get frustrated.

Old 04-12-04, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by davo
Don't remove the exhaust manifolds unless you have 2 spreaders or you will never get them back on.They are a bear to do on your car so don't get frustrated.
Davo: Could you explain what you mean please?

Old 04-12-04, 06:09 PM
On small block chevy engines with cast iron exhaust manifolds you need two exhaust manifold spreaders to keep the manifold from curling in the bolt locations.2 spreaders are good for 1 manifold and must be installed prior to removing the manifold.If you remove both manifolds you need 4 spreaders.The manifolds pull together after use after being unbolted from the head.It doesn't always happen but usually it does.What I mean is the bolt holes won't line up.

Old 04-12-04, 09:36 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
so THAT'S what it was,

the guy next to me was putting a jasper engine in a chevy box van, and we needed the mother of all prybars to get the manifold bolts close to lining up. they were off by at least 1/4", and we were prying with all our might with the engine still on the floor. i guess if we ever do that again, 'spreaders' would be a good purchase.

i wonder what causes that.

Search this Thread