98 Chevy P/U milky oil

Old 04-10-04, 03:40 PM
98 Chevy P/U milky oil

I have a 98 Chevy P/U with 4.3 liter V6 and 87575 miles on it. I changed the oil fall just before I put it on blocks in the garage for the winter. I started once in January and once in February. I just now have put it back on the road. I checked the oil and it looked a little milky, and I had a wax like coating on the oil fill and pcv valve. My guess is the intake manifold gasket must be leaking. Does that allow coolant to leak into the oil? Does it cost much to fix? Should I be look at anything else? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-04, 08:46 AM
I would change the oil and monitor the coolant level to see if it's dropping indicating a leak.

Old 04-11-04, 03:40 PM
Can a leaking intake manifold gasket allow coolant to get in the oil?

Old 04-11-04, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Cre2002
Can a leaking intake manifold gasket allow coolant to get in the oil?
Yes, it sure can. They are pretty notorious for it too.

Old 04-12-04, 08:24 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
You definitely have a coolant leak if the oil is milky. Some of the things could be:

Head gasket is ruptured
cylinder head is warped
Broken head bolt

Old 04-12-04, 05:59 PM
The truck is in storage gets started up enough to warm the engine never driven until hot.The cycle repeats and condensation forms because the engine never gets hot enough to vent moisture through the pcv system it lays in the oil.Many quad 4 engines recieved a head gasket job because the oil vapor seperator was bad due to "milky"oil.So a big buck job was done for a 60 dollar list part failed.I still say I would not replace an intake gasket without checking for coolant loss first in this case.But since you are going to do the intake anyhow make sure you torque the intake properly.Failure to do so may cause main bearing failure due to distortion of the block at the main bearing journals.