how to launder oily rags?

Old 04-11-04, 02:49 AM
how to launder oily rags?

What do all you weekend mechanics do to clean your oily engine rags? I used to just get rid of them, cuase there was always another old tee shirt that was dying to become an engine rag, but after being married and having a baby it's amazing how I don't seem to have many old shirts that make it to the garage anymore. Anyway, I'm just curious if there's a better way than my current washing technique. If rags are too saturated, I get rid of them. If they seem washable, I hand wash them with oxyclean, which seems to work better than detergents. I don't have an old washing machine in the garage so I don't mind hand washing, but it seems that there might be a quicker and better way in todays world. Anyone know of anything?

Visser

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-04, 08:55 AM
I thought thats what coin operated laundrymats were for.

Old 04-11-04, 01:47 PM
Castrol makes a purple colored cleaner that comes in spray bottles or gallon jugs the size of coolant. Available at auto parts stores and WalMart.

It works pretty well. Doesn't get ALL the grease out, but what does? Careful though, if you get it on your hands, rinse it off quickly or your skin starts to peel off.

AutoZone has the same stuff under the generic name "Purple Power".

Matt

Old 04-12-04, 09:16 AM
Davo, I honestly copnsidered taking them to the laundramat, but that just seemed wrong for the same reasons that I wouldn't wash them in my own washer at home. I would hate to think that the oily, greasy rags caused anyone else a problem.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Old 04-12-04, 10:52 AM
Keep in mind that even washed oily rags are susceptible to spontanious combustion if stored incorrectly. Personally I'd just toss them.

Old 04-13-04, 10:26 PM
Good Point Davejb. I usually toss anything that has cumbustables on it anyway, so I'm mostly reffering to the rags that have Grease on them, but your reminder has brought to my attention that these "grease rags" are sometimes the same rags that I use to check oil. Throwing them away makes good practice to ensure that I have no cumbastble rags around at all. I'd rather buy new ones!

Thanks to all of you for the input.

Visser

Search this Thread