1996 Couguar XR7 Air conditioner

Old 04-11-04, 04:46 AM
thickey1
Visiting Guest
1996 Couguar XR7 Air conditioner

The Mercury Cougar I own has a V8 Automatic Trans. The problem i'm currently haveing is my air conditioner is not working. The blower works but i'm not receiving cold air. The car has not been run in over 4 months, but i noticed the last time i drove it, it took awhile before i received cold air. At the present the compressor cycle switch seems to be working, and the clutch seems to be engaging but no cool air.

I appreciate any input provided.
This is a tremendous web site for folks like myself

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-04, 06:40 AM
Your going to have to install a set of guages and observe the pressures to properly diagnose what is going on since you say the compressor is engaged. If it's quick cycling, you may be low on freon which means you have a leak. Feel the larger pipe coming out of the firewall, if it's cold, that could mean you have a heat staying on issue. If it's not cold, you likely have a problem in the gas side of the system and it would need to be diagnosed by a technician.

Old 04-11-04, 11:07 AM
thickey1
Visiting Guest
1996 Mercuray Cougar V8 auto trans.

The compressor switch is definitely cycling every couple of second 2-3 seconds max then stops, and repeats again . I do not think this vehicle has ever been recharged. I bought this vehicle used with 167,000. The vehicle has sat alot with out being driven. I park it at my condo in florida. As in my previous post when driving in december it took awhile before i received cool air. Now 4 months later i receive no cool air but am experiencing the above. How often should the compressor cycle switch cycle?

In the mean time I will check the incomingline to the compressor at the firewall for cold or heat, but if you could answer the above question about the cycle switch it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks for your prompt reply to my first post!!!!!!

Old 04-11-04, 12:08 PM
The cycling is pressure related. The switch is calibrated usually to go off at 24PSI and back on at 48PSI. The pressure will vary with ambient temp and blower speed. If it is hot outside and your using high blower, it will almost never cycle. Once it's cooled down and the blower is lowered, it may cycle as frequently as once every couple minutes. Yours for sure sounds to be very low on freon. Regardless of it ever being charged before, it should never need it. Being a Ford, the evaporator leaking is pretty common but not automatic. The leak will progressively get worse so it's a good idea to fix it. The evap is a fairly big job on that car as the dash has to be removed to access the box. Have it leak tested and find out for sure.