96 Honda Civic-stalling Out When Stopping

Old 04-12-04, 01:58 PM
flabob
Visiting Guest
Red face 96 Honda Civic-stalling Out When Stopping

Well.i am not sure what is causeing my 96 hoda civic,to stall out after 5 minuets of driving. Everytime i stop at a light..it stalls out...but then it starts right up again,till the next stop light.

my back yard mechanic freind said it could be the 02 sensor.....the check engine light came on about a week ago, and it started stalling..and stalling more often........i hear no vacuum leaks.and everything else that i can hear and see, looks good, but i know..that dont mean squat....i also read what mike from nj, and davo, said about the honda's."if you peel the stickers off your honda, you will see that you are really driving an isuzu rodeo. what you have is a common problem, the plastic intake manifold gaskets have cracked, allowing too much air into the engine and the 'lean' codes."
.and also read about the vapor lock in gas tank.....being divorced twice..lol..and paying 2 of them, my funds are limited.....what should i try to do first to solve this problem?..thx for any help

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-04, 06:17 PM
Hi, Welcome to the Forums,

Well the thing about a Isuzu dosen't apply to your Civic.

What you need to do is go to a Auto-Zone or simular and let them read the codes and report back with them. Don't buy anything from them!

Old 04-12-04, 09:31 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
yeah, that doesn't apply to your civic at all.

the honda passport is actually an isuzu rodeo,
the acura SLX is actually an isuzu trooper,
the isuzu ascender is a chevy trailblazer,
the isuzu hombre is a chevy S-10
and the isuzu oasis is a honda odessey,

quite a bit of "product sharing" going on, too bad none of it applies to your car, your honda is actually a honda.

let us know the code when you figure it out, hopefully someone can help you.

Old 04-13-04, 02:01 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
96 HONDA-STALLING

Thx Mike and Larry for your advice ........that is what i shall do then...i will get the code pulled,and come back to this forum and give ya'll the info..i appreciate the quick response........

one thing....i went to pep-boys and they wanted 85 bucks to scan the code....now a neighbor hood garage,does a diagnostic engine check for 20 bucks....since i dont have a clue about cars,if i take it to the 20 buck diagnostic check,will it be the same thing as the 85 dollar scan, i want to save ,money, but ,i want to get it done right.so, i will pay the extra if you think it makes a differance......i will take the car in tomorrow to get the code..thx again..ill get back to ya's for sure

bob

Old 04-13-04, 03:34 AM
Going out on a limb......I'd say your better off with the local garage than Pep Boys!

What about Auto-Zone or something simular? They do it for free. You just need the code retrieved.

Old 04-13-04, 07:15 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
96 honda stalling

THX AGAIN LARRY,for the advice, about auto zone....we have some around, and i will check the free code pull........but either way , i will have the code by tomorrow afternoon.........and i will let you guys know.......do i stay on this thread,or ,just reply .....again.....i really appreciate your guys time and help....

Old 04-13-04, 07:27 AM
Use the "Reply Button" to keep all the posts together

Old 04-13-04, 09:08 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
96 HONDA-STALLING

OK...THX LARRY, for the tip on auto zone....a very good informative site....i checked out the trouble shooter link they have,and i have to admit it is very interesting.....auto zone gave me this this as to what could cause the stalling ...i am very impressed..this is what they recommend i check for http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...iagResultsInfo

their site did say they check your car's battery, alternator, starter and voltage regulator ,and In most stores, we can also test voltage regulators, control modules, coils, throttle position sensors (TPSs) and other engine management components......does this mean they do a free diagnostic on your engine

either way,i am going to have the code done by tomorrow...thx to you guys and this forum, i am learning alot...ya gotta love this forum.thx again....ill let ya know the code

Old 04-13-04, 09:36 AM
AutoZone is an auto parts store. They don't employ any technicians or mechanics. The store has a code scanner which they will use to scan the codes in your vehicle for free in hopes of selling you some parts. Simply let them scan it and then post the code numbers here for an experienced tech to advise you on. Do not let AutoZone talk you into buying any parts without coming here first.

Old 04-13-04, 09:46 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
96 honda-stalling

thx Desi.....for sure i will get my car scanned ,then bring the code here.............this forum is great....wouldnt do anything without asking y'all first....ill bring the code tomorrow :O))

Old 04-13-04, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by mike from nj
yeah, that doesn't apply to your civic at all.

the honda passport is actually an isuzu rodeo,
the acura SLX is actually an isuzu trooper,
the isuzu ascender is a chevy trailblazer,
the isuzu hombre is a chevy S-10
and the isuzu oasis is a honda odessey,

quite a bit of "product sharing" going on, too bad none of it applies to your car, your honda is actually a honda.

let us know the code when you figure it out, hopefully someone can help you.
Mike wait until you get to pull a head off that 4.2 inline 6 with 4 wheel drive.Almost 18 hours under warranty.The oil pan has to come off and the intermediate shaft goes through the pan.Also if you ever have to pull the engine remove the oil drain plug or you will not get the engine out.

Old 04-13-04, 11:14 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i'll PM you when that day ever happens, have you done one yet?

it seems like we only sell the six cylinders too. and i've had a pretty good look over of these, i've 'seen' that oil pan. sheesh.
we've only been selling these for a year or two now.

sorry 'flabob', back to your problem.

Old 04-14-04, 02:20 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
I just wanted to let you guys know,that i cant drop the car off today for the code,but will try tomorrow :O))...got to work o/t today

Old 04-17-04, 05:31 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
96 honda -stalling

Morning ya'll

well, i finally got the code pulled from auto zone this morning,as you guy's suggested....the code number is "PO135" THEY SAY IT IS THE "02 sensor"...after the cadalytic converor...... auto zone charges 210 dollars for that part,but bumper to bumper,and dicount auto parts, say they have the original honda o2 sensor for 89 dollars...does this sound right to you guys...ic ant get the part till thursday anyway.....so what do you guys think....thx

bob

Old 04-17-04, 07:09 AM
Your after cat sensor may be a problem but I don't see it causing the stalling issue.

I would clean the throttle body for starters and may look into the idle speed control sticking or dirty.

When was the last service or tune-up?

Update: Just double checked that code and it is the front sensor heater circuit. So it may have an effect on your problem.

Thats why you don't let them sell you stuff.....they can't even relay the correct code interpretation

Old 04-17-04, 07:26 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
HONDA STALLING

Thx Larry

i got a tune up 2 weeks ago on it, but it was one of those 25 dollar ,neighbor hood garage speacils. so i think just basic stuff ,like plugs and such.

what exactly do i ask the auto parts store for.....i have been given differant prices,and seen (on line) ,differant pics and type numbers for the sensor Click here: Honda Auto Parts Wholesale - New OEM Honda Parts Catalog or these ones Click here: Honda Auto Parts Wholesale - New OEM Honda Parts Catalog

i have noticed this week,while driving to work that,if the air conditoner is on....it wont stall as often or as soon as the car warms up......if i have the a/c off, it will stall out faster,and more often.... thx for any help ya'll can advise me on

bob

Old 04-18-04, 12:22 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
a heater circuit can be tricky to diagnose, a wiring diagram would be helpful.

i've seen equally the sensor failed and also the fuse blown for this code(not on hondas though). some cars have a relay too, that's why a wiring diagram helps

for the stalling, it might be time for a throttle body cleaning, and the idle air control motor cleaning. (also not so sure what they look like on a honda).

unless the parts box says 'honda' on it, it might not be a true honda sensor, just one that works ok(sometimes)

wish i could help you more

Old 04-18-04, 06:24 AM
flabob
Visiting Guest
HONDA STALLING

THX FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP MIKE

Can i do a throttle cleaning my self, or since i am not good with cars, should i take it to a mechanice and have him do it...thx again man....i will keep ya'll updated.....

Old 04-18-04, 08:08 AM
Did the stalling start after the tune up?

Old 04-18-04, 02:00 PM
flabob
Visiting Guest
honda stalling

no...the stalling started a week before i got the minor tune-up....should i go ahead and by the o2 sensor and put it in?....auto zone said it was the #1.....the first 0ne, what ever that meant, but it also said on the read out, that it was "po135"..after the converter....