Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

exciting alternator coils

04-12-04, 06:08 PM   #1  
exciting alternator coils

Can someone please explain to me how to excite an alternator's coils? I have seen it done with a wire. I know you have to touch certain terminals to make the alternator start charging but I don't know which ones. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

04-12-04, 06:19 PM   #2  
We need a little more info.....like what kind of car and why you want to do this

04-12-04, 08:06 PM   #3  
It's a general question. The equipment I have seen it done on was a tractor, but the same type of alternator is on some ford pick-ups that I've seen along with many other vehicles.

04-13-04, 12:13 AM   #4  
What you are refering to is "full fielding" the rotor. That is how an alt's current is controlled by varing the voltage to the rotor. It depends on how it is wired.

Some the ground is the control and some the power is the control. Some you just reach through a hole and ground out a terminal against the case. Others you would apply voltage to a terminal.

04-13-04, 09:08 PM   #5  
I have done this on older GM alternators by sticking a small screwdriver through a hole in the back of the case. This by passed the regulator to see if the alternator was working or if the regulator was bad.

Don't di it for very long.

Search this Thread