Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Daytime Running Lights Installation

NJ

04-11-04, 05:59 AM   #1  
Daytime Running Lights Installation

Can anyone out there tell me how to install the module needed or point the way to a site with this info? I own a Honda Civic.

I heard it is easy and bought the module which was not expensive and I need to do this because I moved to Canada.

How hard can this be?!!

Thanks!!

Suessy

Sponsored Links

04-11-04, 06:31 AM   #2  
Re: Daytime Running Lights Installation

Originally posted by Suessy
How hard can this be?!!
I guess that depends on whether you have the schematic or not. What module did you buy, OE or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket, it should have instructions. If it's OE, it's possible the vehicle isn't equipped with the same harness as the vehicle it was made for. Your going to have to get your hands on the proper schematic somewhere.

NJ

04-11-04, 06:24 PM   #3  
Thank you so much for your quick reply, Desi501!!

Um - what does OE mean?

I think it is aftermarket because it is what Canadian Tire sells here in Canada when they do the installation themselves.

I guess I could get a schematic from Honda or maybe from someone I know who owns a Honda. It's just a little box and maybe if the mechanics at Canadian Tire are feeling generous they will tell me how they mount it.

I may end up being completely confused by this but my wish not to pay someone to do it for me is outweighing my fear of confusion!!

Suessy

04-11-04, 06:39 PM   #4  
OE means "original equipment". If that is an aftermarket product sold to modify a system then it should come with wiring instructions for your specific vehicle. It's pretty useless if you don't know how it is wired. Did you buy it used or something?

04-11-04, 06:42 PM   #5  
OE = Original Eqipment

Factory DRL's are high beam lights on low power. I think the one Crappy Tire sells just turns on the head lights automatically. Nothing to worry about, same difference. Just follow the instructions and go slow.

NJ

04-12-04, 05:00 AM   #6  
Thanks again for the replies you guys. No, it's not used - it was in the sealed package but I got it at a yard sale. I just opened it up and looked at the enclosed instructions ("if all else fails, read instructions") and it looks easy enough to do but the only thing I am wondering about is the spark plug wire connection. I have to locate the spark plug wire.

"Warn" - you have to be from Canada to know the "Crappy Tire" nickname!! - thanks for the encouragement.

I'll try it this weekend.

Once again, thanks a million!! In case you are interested, I'll post again how it all went.

Suessy

04-12-04, 03:19 PM   #7  
it looks easy enough to do but the only thing I am wondering about is the spark plug wire connection. I have to locate the spark plug wire.
It's a little strange that they want to use a spark plug wire. It must be to sense the engine running. Just be sure not to cut into a spark plug wire in any way. The only way you can tap into a plug wire is induction, where it senses the voltage right through the insulation without entering the wire.

NJ

04-12-04, 04:59 PM   #8  
You sure know your cars!! The diagram shows one of the wires wrapping around the spark plug wire - I guess this is what you mean by induction?

Thanks again, Desi501.

Suessy

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

04-13-04, 06:48 AM   #9  
My Two Cents

Hello: Suessy

Your reference to a modual is likely to be a "Relay." Which does nothing more than turn on a device, system and or something when voltage is sensed or applied to it.

Thus, one pin (connection or leg) to the relay is wired to any place where voltage is present >only< when the engine is running. The other connections on the relay are connected to the device (in this case headlights) that will be turned on >only< when the engine is running.

So you will need to find the main wire supplying power to the first low beam headlight. On that headlight will be another connection to the other headlight.

Look very closely at each headlights connections. One headlight will have one more wire connected to it than the other in the jumper wire system.

Once the main wire to the first headlight is located, it gets spliced and connected through the relay. Another connection on the relay gets connected to any wire which has electrical power only when the engine is running.

When the relay gets power from the source which has current >only< when the engine is running, the relays internal contacts or connection close and route power to the headlight wire.

That connection turns on the first low beam headlight. The jumper wire (wire connection from the first headlight to the second headlight) than passes current to the second headlight.

Some relays have multiple pins on them. One wire to each headlight and one connection allows an over ride to manually turn on/off low beams. Several ways all to accomplish the same task. Turn on headlights >only< when engine is running.

Relays are a simple device used to operated another function, device and or system at a specific time, etc. As easy to install and connect, many simply do not understand a relays purposes, operations and functions.

Equally difficult to explain in a text only format such as this... Hope this helps some to understand the intent of and connection of a simple type relay.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

04-13-04, 08:14 AM   #10  
The diagram shows one of the wires wrapping around the spark plug wire
Suessy
How would this work with a relay?
Just curious

VA

04-13-04, 09:51 AM   #11  
desi...

...i think xxxxxxxxxxx is the one assuming that this is a simple relay circuit. suessy called it a module and i believe that if sensing engine rpm by induction thru a plug wire is how it is controlled, then it's a module. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx seems to me that she understood fairly well and that you two were on the same page. xxxxxxxxxxx would be better off explaining induction rather than relays..xxxx

===========
Forum Monitors Note:
Thread edited to remove direct mentioning of a disagreement with other mods and or members advice. Not done within the publicly viewable forum topics. Doing so provides no helpful info to the member asking the question.

Any questions on this send me a PM.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-13-04 at 10:55 AM.

NJ

04-13-04, 07:33 PM   #12  
carguyinva - there are several wires to attach. One that wraps around the spark plug wire, one that connects to something called a tap splice connector for the low beam and one that connects to another tap splice connector for the high beam, one that connects to the battery, one that connects to the vehicle parking light connection and one that is a ground. The box has on it the words "SOLID STATE D.R.L. MODULE". So it should just be a question of making sure all the wires are in the right place.

First I'll find where everything is, have all the tools I need and it looks as though it might take a good couple of hours because of mounting the module, etc. - which isn't too scary.

Sharp Advice - thanks for the lesson, at this point I'm not refusing any knowledge.

And there's always the CAA.

CAL

04-14-04, 06:16 AM   #13  

Followup on the question. The premise I was using to mention a relay was based upon the statement of obtaining the device part from a yard sale. Which, to me, brought up the thought of interchanged terms for some parts.

Example like module and relay. Both can be electronically operated in todays world, unlike those of a few years ago. Relays where mechanical devices and had no electronic switching like parts of today.

Thus the confusion may have existed regarding wrapping a wire around a spark plug wire. Like another member indicated, there may have been some confusion or misunderstanding in that statement, leading to whether the part was a module or a relay.

My intent was to clear that issue up. I now think it is. Now that it is known to be a true module, per the wording on the box. Thus two other possible conditions may or may not exist.

Attempting to have multiple choices as to which set of lights to be on, high beams, high beams on at reduced power level, low beams and than parking lights.

Rather complicated system to simply have low beams lights on constantly on when engine is running, running lights. Unless the law up there requires multiple options or that specific part is not intended for the vehicle.

May work and be universally applied to most vehicles. Attention drawn to the fact that no mentioning of a universal part, specific part for a select few vehicles, etc.

Another minor point, purchased at a yard sale. Packaged still sealed granted, but is that part intended specifically for the car you have? Can it work on it or not? Several minor or important points possible....?????

Since you mentioned "I'm not refusing any knowledge." Hope all the above does not "Muddy" up the waters even more so.

Visiting Guest

04-14-04, 09:21 AM   #14  
mike from nj
suessy---the easiset thing to do is to just follow the instructons you received with the module, maybe even contact the company directly with specific questions who made it, either through email or a 1-800#, they will tell you if it will work on your vehicle. look on the bottom of the instructions for a name and 'google' it.

sharp advice, i find it ironic that you would edit a post that has a corrective comment directed towards you, yet you leave a direct slam with foul language against a legitimate company alone for days, who could one day possibly even be a sponsor($$) of this website. ??

CAL

04-14-04, 09:46 AM   #15  
Mike:

Kindly point me to that post you say has foul language in it. I may have missed it or was not taken care of by the moderator or not reported to me. I'd like to read it. Send me a PM.

I post my two cents worth when stumbling onto your question as I surf the forums and this is what results? I get attacked? Gents. This question shall remain on topic. Mike. Send me a PM.

Any further discussions on any part of this matter other than to provide help to the member shall not take place in this thread. Not what the member Suessy should be subjected to by anyone of us. Is that clear???

=======

>>>>>Apology Note to Suessy:<<<<

Sorry this is taking place.

Kindly excuse the fact that this thread is being taken off topic. Diversions of being off topic, such as this one, is not allowed in public forums.

Sorry Suessy. Excuse us all.

04-14-04, 04:12 PM   #16  
Wow!,......Suessy, it sounds like you already have a good grasp on what needs to be done. You know which wires you need to locate and hook up. If you have any question about locating them or how or where to splice just ask but there is no point in confusing you further. Try to locate the module in a central location to everything you have to access. Good luck.

NJ

04-14-04, 08:00 PM   #17  
No problem with any posting. I am just really happy that I got any replies at all. I am amazed by the help you people are willing to give. It takes time and energy to help people on these forums and thanks everyone!!

I'll let you know how it went.

CAL

04-18-04, 10:22 AM   #18  

For reference and possible further advice on this question, I requested one of my mechanics from the company pool garages read this question.

His reply to me was that the modual wire attaching to an ignition wire would cause the lights to pulse or flash each time current was passed throught the spark plug wire.

In that fashion, based upon how he interrupted the info thus provided in this thread, the lights would not remain on constanly like lights always are while the engine is running. Nor turn off fully when in operation.

Rather pulse or flash and not turn off fully but turn on fully.
I. E. Flash or pulse.

Which means the lights would function like those on emergency vehicles. Examples: Fire trucks, ambulances, police vehicles, etc.

Which is suspected also based on the mentioning of being connected to the read vehicles lights. Emergency vehicle style.

Another version of that type of modual would or could have two sensing wires. One attached to number one cyclinder and the other to number 4, 6 or 8, depending upon how may cyclinders the engine has. Thus dual headlights would flash or pulse in an alternating pattern. Again like an emergency vehicle.

Which may indicate that modual may or may not be intended for non emergency vehicles. And a reason it was not installed by the prior owner.

Such flashing or pulsing lights functioning as those on emergency vehicles >may< not be legal in your current area. They are not legal for use on non emergency vehicles here in this state and may not be in other states in the USA. Canada may vary.

Hope you do post back the results after installation.
Interesting to know those results....

Regards
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

PS Note: (Per my mechanics request and myself agreeing)
Thanks Desi501. For posting professional and non objective advice. Objective meaning...treating facts without distortions...reading and viewing objectively....providing advice and helpful suggestions, in an honest attempt to fully understand and be helpful......etc... Thanks.

04-18-04, 11:48 AM   #19  
Originally posted by Sharp Advice

His reply to me was that the modual wire attaching to an ignition wire would cause the lights to pulse or flash each time current was passed throught the spark plug wire.

In that fashion, based upon how he interrupted the info thus provided in this thread, the lights would not remain on constanly like lights always are while the engine is running. Nor turn off fully when in operation.

Rather pulse or flash and not turn off fully but turn on fully.
I. E. Flash or pulse.

Which means the lights would function like those on emergency vehicles. Examples: Fire trucks, ambulances, police vehicles, etc.
Thanks for the compliment....but
I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. The constant pulseing will act as a refernce signal to the module, signaling the engine is running and will keep the module active as long as it is receiving the signal. This diferentiates the difference between engine running and just key on. There will not be any flashing whatsoever. Many aftermarket accessories use this method to determine engine running.

CAL

04-18-04, 12:08 PM   #20  
Hi: Desi

HUMMM. You provided some good "food for thought."

Also displaying three important aspects and points.

1)
Your objective thinking cap is on...

2)
Displaying open discussion, insightful thinking and using logic without creating nor implying hostility or conflict environments.

3)
May have to wait and see what the final results are, when Suessy replies back with the outcome , if ever does.

A)
I need to call the motor pool shop again....

No need to be concerned with a disagreemnet. When and if a person has class and tact, which are used correctly, as you have done, an intelligent exchange of communication can exist.

And that exchange of communications still becomes meaningful to all topic readers, as well as helpful to the member asking the question, etc. Thanks.

04-18-04, 01:18 PM   #21  
Thank You,
This is the reason this is a module rather than just a relay. It has the ability to "think" where a relay is designed to merely "relay" or "amplify" current. That sensing wire is just picking up a tach signal input for the module to signal "engine running". It simplifys the hook up for a novice rather than trying to find a tach signal wire on all these different makes.

NJ

04-19-04, 07:31 PM   #22  
Hi - I hope you guys aren't disappointed in me but I got stuck on the first point. I haven't got the instructions with me just now - they are, appropriately, in the car. But it says something about how to drill a hole to attach the ground wire in the metal near the positive end of the battery. Then because the diagram of how the connections to the low and/or high beams were extremely vague, I didn't want to experiment by taking the headlights out or pull wires out of them and guess wrong.

So I thought I would make a bigger effort to find better instructions and went to thrift stores and a large book store, and looked in a Chilton manual. Nothing. Daytime running lights are kind of an obscure thing in car repair so I thought I probably needed the actual Honda repair manual which would cost me more even on eBay than having the lights put in by a shop.

OK - I am admitting that there is more (*much* more) to this than just reading instructions!! I have changed the light bulb in one of my headlights but it didn't involve splicing wires and risking choosing the wrong one(s). So my resolve kind of disintegrated and changed into shopping-for-a-good-but-not-expensive-car-mechanic thing. Kudos to everyone who actually takes risks and learns about their cars enough to do all this work by themselves!! If the estimate that the mechanic I find makes me hyperventilate, I'll be back to the do-it-myself plan. At least I have the part I need already!!

I'll report back.

Thanks again.

Suessy

04-20-04, 02:38 AM   #23  
Sorry Suessy,
Electrical work does take a little understanding of the circuits and working with wiring. An electrical schematic will be very helpful but still may leave you scratching your head. The instructions are always very vague and vary from one vehicle to another. It may be wiser to just "suck it up" and let you mechanic do it. Just make sure he does a neat job with the wiring and makes it look professional with everything neatly tucked away.

NJ

04-21-04, 04:20 AM   #24  
Thanks Desi501, I agree with you - I am going to just get a shop to do it - I know a good one with some really great guys nearby. I agree too that it will look much more professional looking and more likely to pass the inspection which is, of course, the whole point!! I am going to ask the mechanic who is installing the module if I can watch him and I'll probably be going "oh yeah, I see what the instructions meant now!!"

Suessy

04-21-04, 03:44 PM   #25  
[QUOTE=Suessy I am going to ask the mechanic who is installing the module if I can watch him and I'll probably be going "oh yeah, I see what the instructions meant now!!"

Suessy[/QUOTE]

If he's willing to do that and explain as he goes, it will all make sense to you. Just give him some space.

NJ

04-21-04, 07:39 PM   #26  
Will do (re the space thing) - we'll see if he lets me into the garage part at all!!

Suessy

NJ

05-22-04, 07:18 PM   #27  
Update to Daytime Running Lights Saga

This is just a note to any interested members who so nicely tried their best to help me try to install daytime running lights myself.

I took the kit to Canadian Tire just over a week ago where they installed it in under an hour for $60. Was I happy!! And of course, at Canadian Tire you can't just go into the garage and watch them work but I checked out the connections afterward and yes, now I think I could do it because I see where everything goes. It looks like the tech did a very neat job!!

I was concerned at first though, that my dashboard lights didn't automatically come on and a friend told me that my tail lights weren't coming on but when I checked back with Canadian Tire they told me that daytime running lights only turned on the headlights and that at night I would still have to turn my lights on manually to get any other lights to work. So I'm set regarding the DRL's anyway.

I want to thank you all again for all your help!!

Suessy

05-23-04, 05:19 AM   #28  
They gave you a good deal and you have your drl's that's great.I also like the fact that you checked the work and said it looked like they did a neat job.You may have found someone that goes the extra mile due to their pride in their work.That's important if you require help in the future in my opinion.

05-23-04, 02:08 PM   #29  
Glad to hear your all squared away Suessy.

Search this Thread