Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Car wont start

Visiting Guest

04-14-04, 01:55 PM   #1  
ROBYN
Car wont start

I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring JXI Conv. I had put water in my radiator before going on a four hour trip. After about 45 miles into the trip my car dies at the stop light, i get it going and probably get about 2 miles and it starts running wierd so i pulled over, open up my hood and to my amazement i had for gotten to put the radiator cap back on. somebody had pulled over and went and got me water put that in but car still wont start. A mechanic down the street came and looked at it said it was the timing belt, by the way it sounded when trying to turn the car over, could it be the timing belt or could i have cracked the head????

Sponsored Links

04-14-04, 02:27 PM   #2  
You say you added water before the trip was it using coolant prior to this trip?Did the temp light come on or guage read hot?I don't think the belt broke if you turned the engine off.

Visiting Guest

04-14-04, 10:40 PM   #3  
ROBYN
no it wasnt using coolant, i just was topping the water off in the radiator before i left. The temp. never went past the middle mark and the temp light never came on. but when i put water back in the radiator it was so hot it came shooting out. And when trying to start the car it is so quiet you can barley hear it trying to turn over. I checked my oil for water and no sign of water in the oil.

Visiting Guest

04-14-04, 11:53 PM   #4  
mike from nj
i'm assuming you have the 2.5L V6

the magic question is....how much water did you eventually add?

based on your good description of how it boiled right out, then had the sound of low compression, are 2 very bad signs.

the first thing is to verify timing marks on the timing belt, then to do a compression test and a leakdown test. this will tell you how much damage you did or didn't do. at least have the front 3 cylinder done, as the 3 rear ones are 'some dissassembly required', namely the upper intake manifold has to come off.

let us know what you find.

Visiting Guest

04-15-04, 12:27 AM   #5  
ROBYN
The first time i added water it was a half gallon milk jug full of water, then about an hour later a friend of mine brought me more water and i was able to fill the radiator up. You will have to excuse me im only a girl and dont know much about cars (but im learning) the hard way i guess you would say, i did check my oil and didnt find any traces of water in it, when you say low compression just what does that mean? and what kind of damage are we talking about? do i need to start looking for a motor?

Visiting Guest

04-15-04, 12:38 AM   #6  
mike from nj
well the system holds at the most 1.5 to 2 gallons. running a gallon low is a bad thing.

what i've seen before, is when it gets that hot, it scuffs the pistons and you lose most of the engine's compression. a properly done compression test with a 'compression gauge' placed in the spark plug holes tells exactly what is going on inside the engine. anything before doing that....would be guessing.

have you tried holding the gas pedal all the way down, and cranking for like 30 seconds? maybe remove the front three spark plugs and put like a teaspoon of fresh motor oil in the holes and try that procedure again to start it(after the plugs are back in of course)
this might just get it started if somehow the cylinders got washed down. hopefully.

lotta 'ifs' here.

Visiting Guest

04-15-04, 12:50 AM   #7  
ROBYN
At this point im willing to try anything, my dad and i are going to go tomorrow to tow my car back home so i will try what you suggested when i get my car back home. Thankyou so much for all your imput.

Search this Thread