1992 Delta Olds A/C relay

Old 04-15-04, 04:43 PM
sparkync
Visiting Guest
Smile 1992 Delta Olds A/C relay

I have a 1992 Delta 98 Olds. I am having trouble with my air condition. I have checked out several things, voltage at the compressor (none), the voltage at the low pressure switch (none), the voltage at the fuse (Yes) I am trying to determine which relay is for the air condition. I have 6 relays under hood at the bottom of the windshield. The fuses are labeled, but the relays are not. I do not know which one to test. There are several relays which seem to be the same, and I could interchange them if I knew which one to interchange with, plus I don't know if I will mess anything else up by pulling relay's. I'm especially concerned about the "air bag" if there is a relay for it , ( I'm
not sure) I guess I could pull the fuse out for the "air bag" system, but I've never did it before, sort of nervous about doing it I've been told it wont make it engage, and I guess good sense would tell me it wouldn't, but still hate the thought of it engaging somehow. If someone could help me with the location of the relay, it sure would help me at this point. I'm talking about the numeric location from left to right if anyone could tell me, or maybe an online sight where there might be a diagram of it. Thanks so much for any help you might could give me

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-04, 05:00 PM
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and try the A/C again.Let us know if it works.

Old 04-15-04, 05:12 PM
The A/C clutch is one of those relays. What you can do sometimes is match the color code coming off the compressor to a matching wire at the relay. You really need a schematic to diagnose one of those. They have so many different ways to wire them. Sometimes the cycling switch is on the power side and sometimes it's on the ground side. Sometimes the switch feeds the relay and sometimes the ECM ground is the only on/off at the relay. You really need to know the system to repair it.

Old 04-15-04, 05:59 PM
sparkync
Visiting Guest
Smile a/c relay

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to disconnect the battery tomorrow. At least it gives me some direction to go in

Old 04-15-04, 06:33 PM
Re: a/c relay

Originally posted by sparkync
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to disconnect the battery tomorrow. At least it gives me some direction to go in
That will only make a difference if you have Automatic Temperature Control and in that case, your display would tell you it's shut down.

Old 04-16-04, 10:45 AM
sparkync
Visiting Guest
Talking a/c relay

davo, Thanks a lot for the advice of disconnecting my battery. I disconnected it and reconnected it in about 10 minutes, and the a/c clutch started kicking in It's kicking in and out, but I know that's a sign of low freon, but at least I know about which direction to go in now. I had a friend to put freon in it about 2 years ago. It must have leaked out. I guess I need to get the leak fixed and freon put back in Thanks again, I was just trying to find the reason, and see if it was something I thought I could do or not. I don't have the gauges, license, etc.
to put the freon in, etc. , but now I know what to do.. Thanks again for all the help. Maybe I can help someone with Residential, commercial wiring advice sometime.. Steve

Old 04-16-04, 11:02 AM
sparkync
Visiting Guest
Wink relay

Forgot to mention, I think I did find which one was the a/c relay. I did pull it out and put it back in. Probably didn't have anything to do with it, unless it was sticking, but I don't think so, since I had already tapped on it while it was running.
According to other help, the a/c relay is suppose to be the first one toward the passenger side, just in case someone else ever needs the information. Well thanks to everyone again..