head gasket (93 sunbird 4cyl)

Old 04-16-04, 08:53 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
Question head gasket (93 sunbird 4cyl)

Hey guys, My head gasket in my 93 subird is bad, I find myself adding about a third of a gallon of antifreeze every 2 weeks, The car is missing and lacks power(acceleration is gone) If I change the head gasket and nothing is warped should I Get my power back? will It stop idling so rough?
Thanx guys
Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-04, 03:47 AM
I don't know.
If the Dolphins win the Superbowl, will we have world peace?

We can't know what is wrong with your car from what you've told us. You can't even be sure it's only a head gasket, could be a cracked head. It doesn't sound like you've even confirmed the coolant is landing into the cylinder.

Old 04-17-04, 09:39 AM
You need to get a couple of basic diagnostic checks out of the way first.

1. Perform a visual inspection for obvious problems such as hose or radiator leaks.
2. Have the cooling system pressure checked.
3. Perform a chemical cylinder block leak test for evidence of leakage.
4. Perform a mechanical cylinder leakage test.

Matt

Old 04-17-04, 07:24 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
Thanx

Thanx for your input guys
craig

Old 04-20-04, 06:43 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
Arrow (no title)

Hey guys I paid to have a diagnosis on my car, my mech said He thinks its a head gasket/ cracked head, He advised to do a major tune up (even though I did one 2 months ago) just to rule out the possibility of falty parts. I started by changing oil/filter drove the car and it stopped running rough/ had power
any ideas what might have caused this?

*oil drained from car looked fine*
Thanx
Craig

Old 04-20-04, 08:32 PM
I'm concerned he only "thinks" it's a bad gasket or cracked head. A good technician should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Did he perform any diagnostic tests with any objective results? For example: a compression test, cylinder leakage test, etc.

If the "tuneup" helped - fine, but it may just be masking the "real" problem and cause further damage in the long run.

Old 04-21-04, 02:39 AM
I agree with Smogtek. That mechanic sounds no better than a DIY wanting to throw parts at it without confirming anything. That's not the way it is done. There would have been a cost but he should have spent some time testing.

Old 04-23-04, 12:45 PM
Ownsa93sunbird
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Hey again

Hey guys sure enough the oil was just "masking" the problem. SO I finnally decided to change that dang gasket, It took me my cuzin, torque wrench, .............. Nothing was cracked or warped, I took it in to have the heads checked and they said it was within the limits, We assembled the engine reset timing....... the moment of truth,,,,,,,, we started it! It's running like new again!!!!!!
Thanx
Craig

So I guess that answers your question "if the Dolphins Win The super Bowl"............. There will be peace! lol

Old 04-23-04, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Ownsa93sunbird

So I guess that answers your question "if the Dolphins Win The super Bowl"............. There will be peace! lol
And, as you can see, you had to actually remove the head to determine that. Nothing we could have forseen. You know the condition of the rest of the engine, we don't. We would have needed to be psychic to answer that question in this format.

Old 04-23-04, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Desi501
... Nothing we could have forseen.. We would have needed to be psychic to answer that question in this format.
I beg to differ. What about the "Crazy 8" ball in the bottom drawer of my rollaway? It knows ALL! LOL!

Matt

Old 04-23-04, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by smogtek
I beg to differ. What about the "Crazy 8" ball in the bottom drawer of my rollaway? It knows ALL! LOL!

Matt
I rely on one of those from time to time.