Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 Honda Accord EX oil around spark plugs

Visiting Guest

04-17-04, 04:04 AM   #1  
doitnewf
1992 Honda Accord EX oil around spark plugs

When changing the spark plugs, i noticed a fair amount of engine oil down at the bottom of the plug boot were it goes over the top of the plug.
Oil was present on 3 spark plugs.
Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
JP

Sponsored Links

04-17-04, 04:29 AM   #2  
You most likely have a valve cover gasket leaking.If the oil has soaked the wires replace them after it's fixed.

04-17-04, 09:33 AM   #3  
doitnewf,

IIRC (if I remember correctly) that year has the deep-set plugs.

When you replace the valve cover gasket, the gasket set should also come with 4 o-ring style gaskets as well for the plug wells. Replace them as well and your problem should be solved.

As davo said, make sure you replace the wires after you fix the leak.

Matt

Visiting Guest

04-17-04, 10:13 AM   #4  
doitnewf
Thanks!!
How hard of a job is it to replace the valve cover gasket?

Cheers
JP

04-17-04, 10:33 AM   #5  
Actually, it's not hard at all.

Get a Haynes or Chilton manual if you don't have one - about $15.

Alternatively, take a Polaroid or digital photo for reference before and during the process.

DON'T cheap out on the parts. I recommend you get the Honda OEM gasket set from the dealer.

Leave the plugs in while removing the valve cover so the accumulated oil doesn't drain into the cylinders.

HTH

Matt

04-17-04, 02:13 PM   #6  
Originally posted by smogtek
Leave the plugs in while removing the valve cover so the accumulated oil doesn't drain into the cylinders.
HTH
Matt
There really isn't any other way to get the oil out. Remove all the plugs, place a rag over the holes and crank the engine over, then clean up the mess.

Visiting Guest

04-17-04, 11:33 PM   #7  
mike from nj
Originally posted by smogtek

where's the fun in that?

let all the oil drain into the cylinders, i even hit it with a few spurts of brake parts cleaner to make sure the spark plug area is all clean, then i kill a few mosquitos in the neighborhood too when i'm done(by simply starting it).

04-18-04, 08:55 AM   #8  
Haven't had to kill any mosquitoes since I left Philly, but if I did I'd be more inclined to use GM X-66A. Now THAT'S a mosquitoe fogger!

Matt

Search this Thread