Coolant and Transmission

Old 04-18-04, 12:04 PM
swgibson
Visiting Guest
Coolant and Transmission

I just bought a 1998 Toyota Corolla. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to flush and fill the radiator and transmission. Is there a website or book where I can obtain this information.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-04, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Best bet would be to pick up a diy manual, either Haynes or Chilton; it will have the info you need. At that age simply draining and refilling should suffice unless you think there is a problem.

For the cooling system, with the engine cool open the drain on the bottom of the radiator. When it stops draining, close the drain and refill the radiator with anti-freeze. Use one gallon and fill remainder of space, if any, with water. You will not achieve a complete flush due to the coolant trapped in the engine block, etc, but you will get sufficient new coolant in the system to renew the anti-corrosion properties. Again, this should suffice unless you have a pre-existing problem.

For the transmission, roughly the same procedure. Not sure if your Corolla has a drain plug, but my wife's '95 Camry does, so I'll assume it does, too. I think you'll find your tranny has a cleanable screen vice a throwaway filter. A repair manual or even your owners manual will tell you this. To get to the screen you must drain the fluid and remove the pan. Clean the screen, reinstall, install pan and refill with new tranny fluid. Should take about 3 quarts.

Haynes or Chliton manuals will have the proper procedures complete with pictures. What I've described is very basic and there may be variations for you particular vehicle.

Be sure to properly dispose of used coolant and tranny fluid.