engine maxed out in mountains

Old 04-18-04, 06:29 PM
misnancyg
Visiting Guest
Question engine maxed out in mountains

hi, I own a 1987 Toyota which has a custom Conquest motor home attached. I travel to the mountains to camp. I have noticed during steep inclines the engine will screech. I can use the overdrive and this seems to help. Is this something which can be fixed or is it normal under heavy load? The vehicle has 19k miles and it runs fine otherwise. Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 04-18-04, 09:17 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
what kind of screeching sound is it? is it a slipping belt? If you engage an overdrive the revs will drop and thus screech less... but I doubt that's good on the engine if you're going uphill.

Old 04-19-04, 02:57 AM
misnancyg
Visiting Guest
it's definetly an engine noise, not sure, but sounds like valves. I read the owner's manual and they suggested turning overdrive for hills to keep engine from going into overdrive at high speeds. It made sense and that seems to work, but not sure about the noise. We did all the belts last summer, went round and round with the ac which is aftermarket. (not using AC).

thoughts?

Old 04-19-04, 04:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Readjust the drive belt tension before you get too deep into this ,it sounds like a slipping belt to me also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: