Temperature gauge wire

Old 04-18-04, 07:11 PM
misnancyg
Visiting Guest
Question Temperature gauge wire

Here's an interesting problem with my 1987 toyota Conquest. A mouse ate a wire in the engine compartment. Turns out, I think it's the wire to the engine temperature gauge (since this is no longer working). I would like to know if replacing this is something which can be tackled a diy-er or leave to pros?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-04, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Definitely diy-able. If the wire is merely chewed through in one spot, should be able to repair the break with a crimp-on type wire splice. You strip the two ends, insert them into either end of the splice, and crimp it with either pliers or a special tool (wire crimper/stripper).

If a section of the wire is missing you should be able to splice in a repair using two connectors instead of one and a piece of wire the proper diameter.

Old 04-19-04, 03:17 AM
misnancyg
Visiting Guest
I'll have to check, but I'm not sure if the mouse left any wire on the engine side of the wire. He probably didn't eat the entire wire going up to the dash, but I haven't checked. He also likes paper products . So, if there is no wire left, the sensor will need to be replaced. Again, is it diy? Thanks!

Old 04-19-04, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Should be no reason to replace the sensor itself, it's metal and screwed into the engine block. Should have a simple pull-off connector for the wire. If the wire is bad right up to the connector it will be a little harder to fix, otherwise should be able to do a splice repair.

Old 04-19-04, 06:32 PM
misnancyg
Visiting Guest
Hello again,

Thanks for the input. I checked the wiring again and found one which had an inline fuse, which somehow fell out. I had found one on the ground, but didn't know where it came from. Replaced with new fuse (20amp?) and still no temp gauge on dash. Is there another fuse under-dash? Since this is a conversion (Conquest) there are more wires under the dash then the usually assortment. The wire which has been chewed, there is no wire left. I haven't attempted to remove the connector. But sure that it could be done. May just take to mechanic and have it checked out.

Old 04-20-04, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Conversion vehicles frequently have non-standard equipment that makes it hard to troubleshhot in some cases. The temp gauge wire would not have an in-line fuse; if a fuse was involved you would likely lose more than just temp. Probably time to visit your local mechanic.

Old 04-20-04, 04:23 PM
misnancyg
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I pretty well figured as much. Hopefully will get it looked at before camping season is in full swing. Appreciate all the help.