Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission fluid leak

Visiting Guest

04-18-04, 07:28 PM   #1  
Charlestkd
Transmission fluid leak

I need to replace a transmission line due to leaking near the front connector.

I want to change to a rubber hose as opposed to replacing the metal line.

I know I need a different fitting to go into the radiator. From there do I cut the metal pipe and clamp onto that or run it all the way back to the transmission?

Also, I have some fuel line hose that is the same size as I will need. Will that work?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links

VA

04-19-04, 05:10 AM   #2  
based on limited info...

...it's hard to answer all of your questions accuurately.

fuel hose as trans hose...NO...they make special hose for that

running it all the way back...not a good idea...it should be repaired as closely as possible to original.

connector at the radiator....check with the dealer...many models have problems with connectors so the dealer may stock them. is this why it's leaking or is it a crimp style where the hose is leaking where it's made to the steel line??

if you are just changing to a hose, you'll probably need a barbed fitting to go into your radiator...you'll need thre correct thread on one end and the correct hose diameter on the other.

as for clamping onto the steel line...this is a judgement thing...some recommend only clamping onto a line that has a ferrule made into it...it's like a rib that you can position the clamp over so that the hose to line contact is very positive. all hoses on cars (coolant, fuel, trans, PS) have this type of arrangement. the recommended procedure on a line that has been cut off is to single flare the line, slide the hose on ove the flare and then clamp behind that flare. if i was going to install the hose on a line with no flare, i's at least use TWO clamps...and be sure to use the correct diameter clamps

Visiting Guest

04-19-04, 03:01 PM   #3  
Charlestkd
Thanks carguy.....you answered my question....

04-19-04, 03:27 PM   #4  
Please post make/model/year/engine size when you post so we have a better idea of how to help you.

04-19-04, 03:32 PM   #5  
If you wish to put a hose on a plain metal line what works well is get a standard compression fitting for the size line you have that uses a seprate compression ferrel. (it looks like a wedding ring and is brass) put the compression fitting on the line and tighten it down firmly then take it apart. the fitting will come off and leave the nut and ferrel on the line. If you tightened it correctly the ferrel will be firmly stuck on the line. Slip the hose over the ferrel and put the clamp behind it. This way the hose cannot pull past the ferrel. If you do not want to leave the nut loose on the line clean a section of line and silicone the nut to the line to keep it from ratteling around.

In my opinion this is better than flaring and does not require a flaring tool.

If you put a hose on a plain line you may be sorry.

VA

04-20-04, 04:42 AM   #6  
carnut...

...excellent idea!! wish i'd thought of it...

Search this Thread