strange thunderbird noise

Old 04-18-04, 09:07 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
strange thunderbird noise

Hi ppl, I just recently bought a 91 thunderbird and while I'm very happy with it there is one sound coming from the tranny area that sounds half like a belt rubbing on something soft and half like a fan with crapped out bearings. I know it's not the ventilation fan for the passenger compartment, and it doesn't change pitch or volume when the throttle setting is changed.

any ideas as to what it might be?

D

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-04, 11:31 AM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
PS: the noise seems to be coming from the CAT and if heard from under the car it almost sounds like a blower, but I'd guess it isn't the CAT because otherwise it'd sound like a harley engine wouldn't it?

Old 04-19-04, 01:40 PM
It may very well be the cat causing the noise as they often can rattle from loose heat shield or even pieces inside the convertor that have come loose.

Old 04-19-04, 02:04 PM
To see if it's the cat hit it with a rubber mallet or a piece of wood and see if you hear something similar to your noise.

Old 04-19-04, 03:40 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
the exhaust system does rattle at certain throttle settings as well, but that sounds different, this sounds more like a hair dryer or a blower with some vibration mixed into it, I will give it a few smacks to see if it will make the same sound but I doubt it. the sound is constant at all moments the engine is on, I have yet to put it over a pit or raise it so I can look at it closely.

any more ideas as to what might be causing it? I sure hope it's not the cat because I have to smog it in a few days and if it is... I guess it'll fail.

Old 04-20-04, 12:46 AM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
it's definately the CAT, it must have some deposits in it or a hole that is making that noise, any way to clean it or anything like that? or should I just replace it?

Last edited by daisuke; 04-20-04 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-20-04, 08:57 PM
You've got mail.

Old 04-20-04, 11:57 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
thanks man

Old 04-21-04, 04:44 AM
Well I hope no one else was following this post with a similar problem and awaiting the outcome to help them also.This is an open forum for all to benefit from the discussion please treat it as such.Pms are ok used properly,it's also nice if people check them once in awhile.I've sent pm's months ago without response because people have the email notification turned off.

Old 04-21-04, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by davo
Well I hope no one else was following this post with a similar problem and awaiting the outcome to help them also..
She asked me something in PM so I replied in PM. I am more than happy to respond to folks in the forum, however if someone requests info in a PM I will respond that way.

Originally Posted by davo
I've sent pm's months ago without response because people have the email notification turned off.
Precisely why I let her know, on the forum, that I answered her via PM.
Matt

Old 04-21-04, 02:55 PM
Smogtek my statement was to both of you so don't take it personal.Daisuke if he helped in pm thats great.The point still remains any one else following this post has no idea what happened with the car.That is what this forum is about to help anyone who needs not private repair advice.Pm's are for off topic communication not things related to the thread.Btw I get pm's also and if they are on topic they are answered here.

Old 04-21-04, 03:47 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
ok first of guys... I'm a guy too... that nickname doesn't mean daisy duke!!!

lol

the reason I PM'd smogtek was because the question has already been answered in the NOx post, and he hadn't posted in this topic.

I can post the answer to the question from the PM he sent me if that's ok with both of you.

Regards, D

Old 04-21-04, 04:40 PM
Ooops. Sorry MAN! LOL!

I don't have a problem with you posting the response. Up to you.

Matt

Old 04-21-04, 08:10 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
Here's the response smogtek PM'd me:

"The "blowing" noise you hear could be backpressure in the "cat" escaping through whatever hole it can due to it being plugged/restricted.

What happens is the cat gets "poisoned" from coolant, oil, rich fuel mixtures, etc.

You're best bet is to have a smog test/repair station check your car to make sure it's running properly and in "fuel control". They do this by checking the oxygen sensor to make sure the engine is getting the proper air/fuel mixture.

If you don't fix the car first, you'll just ruin the new cat in short order.

Most diagnoses like this should run about 1 to 1-1/2 hours diagnostic time X the shop's hourly rate.

You can usually get a cat installed at an independent muffler shop for about $110 give or take. If your car has more than one cat, the price will go up accordingly.

HTH"

Old 04-22-04, 03:53 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
well I took the car in to be smogged, and when I mentioned the noise to the guy he instantly said... well that's not your cat, it's your fuel pump! so either the pump is dieing or the fuel filters are clogged. anyone know where it (the filter or the filterS, he said there might be more than one) is located?

I did a pre-test and the car has to go to a damn referee even tho the test for HC came out 1 and 3 for idle and 2500 rpm, CO came in at 0.01 and everything else passed as well. can someone tell me what this referee thing is anyway?

thanks for the help so far

D

Old 04-22-04, 04:33 PM
Did the smog tech tell you why you had to go to the referee?

Here's some "referee" info for ya'.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....s-Jun_2003.htm

Old 04-22-04, 05:16 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
he gave me a phone number for the place, I know it's in san luis obispo or in the immediate area. my question is why the referee if the emisions are so nice

He didn't know exactly why, the machine simply said it had to go to a referee

Last edited by daisuke; 04-22-04 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-22-04, 09:01 PM
PM me with your VIN or license plate number and I'll see what I can find out.

Matt