mazda transmission won't change gears

Old 04-19-04, 08:35 PM
mazda transmission won't change gears

My girlfrieds 1999 Mazda will not change gears after it gets hot. After it warms up it gets stuck in high gear and the overdrive light comes on. It doesn't matter if you try to shift manually it stays in high gear unless you park it and let it cool off then it will start in first and shift normaly untill it gets hot again. Has anyone seen this kind of problem before and how much can she expect to pay to get it fixed.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-04, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Tranny been serviced anytime this century? Wouldn't hurt to have that done, but it sounds like you'll need a professional evaluation. Among other things, a good tranny shop will be able to scan for codes that may point directly at a problem and they'll be able to give you a good estimate. Tranny repairs can run from $200 to $2000 depending on make/model/age and the specific problem. Your shop choices are basically franchise (AAMCO, etc) or independent. The national franchises like to rebuild trannies to like-new condition if anything is required beyond quick-fix items like solenoids or sensors. This allows them to provide "lifetime" gaurantees and nationwide warranty work, but comes at a higher price. Independents, on the other hand, will often rebuild trannies for less because they reuse more internal parts that are worn, but still serviceable. Ask friends or relatives for a reference to a good shop if you can't decide (or you can call a couple of local independent towing companies and see who THEY recommend - trust me, they'll know who the good guys are). Avoid cut-rate, shade-tree tranny guys who pull trannies in their back yard and rebuild them in their living room.

Old 04-20-04, 08:15 AM
CD4E trannies...

...don't have a great reputation. I agree with TG...have a pro drive it and offer an evaluation

Old 04-20-04, 02:54 PM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
that sounds like a really weird problem, I suppose it's an automatic, and I suppose you have some problem with your transmission fluid or some component that doesn't like getting hot, but if it works while it's cold I doubt it's a very major problem as long as it works well when it's cold. have you ever touched the fluids in there? maybe topped them off not too long ago?

Old 04-20-04, 06:25 PM
I think it sounds like a torque converter lockout switch.

Old 04-20-04, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by daisuke
I suppose you have some problem with your transmission fluid or some component that doesn't like getting hot, but if it works while it's cold I doubt it's a very major problem as long as it works well when it's cold. ?
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion at all. I wouldn't mess with the fluid first either. The advice given of taking it to a reputable trans shop for evaluation is the right idea. If you don't like the answer from the first one, get a second opinion, but I wouldn't try to "self medicate" before getting a profession evaluation.

Old 04-21-04, 04:52 AM
how and why?

how would a torque converter lock out switch cause this problem and why would it affect changing gears temp wise?

Old 04-21-04, 10:01 AM
daisuke
Visiting Guest
I wasn't implying he mess with the fluids outright, but I once made a mistake of putting the wrong fluid in the wrong place and luckily I realized what I was doing, that's why I asked about topping off the fluids

Old 04-21-04, 06:33 PM
I believe if torque converter lockout switch is bad this can cause a tranny to fail to downshift. Which when you come to stop sign the vehicle will feel like you're driving a manual with the vehcle in gear and not pushing in the clutch. The vehicle may even stall. If you try to accelerate when car starts to jerk the engine will be bogged way down since the tranny will still be in 3rd or 4th gear.The car may drive fine for 10 minutes then start acting up. I may be wrong but that's what I've experienced.

Old 04-21-04, 07:06 PM
What do you mean by hot? Do you mean the tranny is at normal operating temps or is the engine overheating.

Whatever is going on, it's definitely NOT normal.

You need a PROFESSIONAL diagnosis.

Costs vary. Sometimes an external inspection will do it, but it really sounds like you need a teardown and inspection to see what's going on in there.

Matt

Old 04-21-04, 08:45 PM
When I say hot I mean normal operating temp. Her car mechanic took the car to a Mazda shop to have the code scanned but it was inconclusive. She doesn't have much money and I wanted to get some idea of the price before she takes it to a tranny shop since they will have to remove it before they can give an estimate.

Old 04-22-04, 04:25 AM
a competent trans tech...

...ought to be able to diagnose it WITHOUT removing the tranny. as far as dealers go (and I'm a veteran dealer tech), it's not like it used to be...more often than not, they are not properly trained as trans techs and replacement is usually the recommendation (at least in my neck of the woods)...I moonlight at a independant shop that specializes in transmission work...and I believe, as far as trans work goes, that you get more bang for your buck going with a transmission specialty independant than the dealer. only the most destroyed transmissions aren't rebuildable...and rebuilding is always cheaper than new. JMHO...