Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vibration

04-21-04, 10:23 AM   #1  
vibration

Car:
2.2 Ford Focus Wagon LX

PRoblem: Last year we changed our tires because they were causing major vibration--now a year later its happening again. I knew it was more than the tires. The alignment is fine so what else could be causing this problem?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-21-04, 10:29 AM   #2  
How many miles are on the tires, and how often do you rotate them. Also, can you determine if the vibs are front, rear, or both.

VA

04-21-04, 10:53 AM   #3  
vibes!

did the vibration go away after replacing the tires last year? and is the vibration you are experiencing now the same as last year's? did you change two tires or all four? how do you know the alignment is fine....not that alignment directly affects vibration, it doesn't...but it doesn't take long to get tires wearing badly and then your vibration can return. and yes...are you diligent about rotating...some cars are VERY sensitive to that...in fact most all FWD cars in general. and lack of rotation and air pressure maintenence account for the majority of tire issues on modern cars

if you think it's the same vibration, then take a good look at your tires or have someone put it on a lift for you so you can sight across the tread but looking from front to rear or vice versa. spin the wheel so you can watch the tread as it "moves". tire induced vibrations are usually pretty easy to spot.

as for what else might cause it...find out whether it vibrates more under load (accelerating) or coasting. is there any noise associated with the vibration? how about making some lazy weaving manuevers while driving on a deserted road...does that make it worse?

04-21-04, 03:33 PM   #4  
Posted By: ataririot Car:
2.2 Ford Focus Wagon LX

now a year later its happening again. I knew it was more than the tires.
I don't understand. New tires fixed the problem for a year, yet you think that diagnosis was incorrect?

If you have any play in the bearings, ball joints or tie rods, it will exagerate the vibration. It's just going to have to be inspected very thoroughly.

04-21-04, 08:28 PM   #5  
How many miles are on the tires, and how often do you rotate them. Also, can you determine if the vibs are front, rear, or both.

Answer: about 10k miles on the tires and was just getting ready to rotate them.

did the vibration go away after replacing the tires last year?

Ans. Yes

and is the vibration you are experiencing now the same as last year's?

Ans. Yes

did you change two tires or all four?

Ans. All 4

how do you know the alignment is fine....

Ans. Right now I don't.. but that seemed the obvious solution when we changed the tires.. but we had it aligned before changing the tires and it didn't matter. I could get it aligned again, but i have a feeling that its more than that. also I check the pressure regularly.

New tires fixed the problem for a year, yet you think that diagnosis was incorrect?

Ans. We had just replaced the tires the year before and thought maybe we bought crummy tires and that was the reason they wore out in a year.. but then we bought good michelin's last year and its happening again. i know that tires should last longer than a year.

I'm not sure where to start to look..

VA

04-22-04, 04:48 AM   #6  
start with the tires...

...that's where you'll find the cause of abnormal wear which causes vibration. the type of wear will indicate what should be done to minimize or eliminate the wear issue you are experiencing. you may have a bad suspension component, lack of rotation, or alignment again. BTW...Ford recommends you rotate those tires every 5000 miles, so you've gone way too long.

when the alignment was done, was it a 4 wheel alignment, or just two?? it matters because rear toe settings can influence tire wear dramatically. I always recommend spending the extra bucks and checking the alignment of all four wheels...esp on FWD cars.

04-22-04, 09:23 PM   #7  
Does the vibration come from 1, 2, 3 or all 4 tires?

Have you tried switching tire positions to see if the vibration moves with the tire?

It sounds more like a defective tire (belt separating) more than anything else. Especially when you say replacing the tires fixed it the last time.

Make sure you get the correct tire application for your car. I see a lot of people put tires on because "they look good" or because the store is pushing a certain brand or model or whatever.

Visiting Guest

04-23-04, 03:55 AM   #8  
fordman30
ive always suggested to rotate every 6000 miles and rotate and balanced every 12000. on the light cars i suggest when rotating front tires straight to the rear and the rear x them to the front.my question is can you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or the seat.

04-25-04, 06:15 AM   #9  
the vibration is in the front two tires and the steering wheel-this is exactly the same as it had happened before..

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-25-04, 09:55 AM   #10  
First, I would do a rotation, as Fordman suggests. While the front tires are off, run your hand over the tread, looking for cupped or scalloped spots. Visually look for uneven tread wear. If the ride improves after rotation, I would still have a pro go over the front end. I don't think you mentioned the age of your Focus and that could be a factor.

Visiting Guest

04-25-04, 10:34 AM   #11  
fordman30
the ford focus and many of the other ford cars and trucks has always been bad on tires so you have to keep up regular maintance on these vehicles.always checkin the air pressure....i bet when you run your hand over the tires YOU WILL find some small dips in the tires.

04-25-04, 12:06 PM   #12  
Posted By: fordman30 the ford focus and many of the other ford cars and trucks has always been bad on tires so you have to keep up regular maintance on these vehicles.always checkin the air pressure....i bet when you run your hand over the tires YOU WILL find some small dips in the tires.
Yes you are correct one may look at the Explorer and how Ford blamed Firestone for the rollovers.

Search this Thread