Rochester is Rebuilt

Old 04-22-04, 07:48 PM
Dvdj43
Visiting Guest
Rochester Adjustments

Well I did it and it works. Power is back in full force, the car is running well. It now needs some fine tuning. I did discover what may have actually been the problem, aside from a few mutilated "O" rings, there were 2 vaccuum stems that fell out of the top assembly and were sitting in the vaccuum wells. I did not have to touch any adjustment screws except for the rich and lean mixture screws. I did what I could to those however they do need to be properly adjusted.

So now my problem is solved and the car is running great. I cannot thank you all enough for your invaluable help. I hope I can return the favor!

Last edited by Dvdj43; 04-27-04 at 02:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-04, 09:08 PM
Another DIY success story!

Old 04-26-04, 05:06 AM
preper adjustment...

...of the lean stop screw is done during the reassembly process...it takes a special guage tool...then you make the rich stop screw adjustment after installing the airhorn by measuring the travel of the M/C solenoid plunger...the real fine tunig comes after than by adjusting the idle air bleed screw in the airhorn and there are two ways to do that.depends on whether it's lettered or not...anyways...this is what I was talking about with all of the adjustments and so forth.

Old 04-27-04, 02:22 AM
Dvdj43
Visiting Guest
Rochester Adjustments

Carguyinva- There seems to be an access port to the lean stop adj. screw (if I am on the same page as you) that would require a narrow 2 pronged tool. What is the name of this guage you speak of? The idle on the car now is very high, the car will travel at about 25 mph on the idle alone. The rebuild kit came with a cardboard "L" shaped guage, is this what I could use? If so, how?

Old 04-27-04, 04:09 AM
uh...

...the cardboard guage is for setting the float...the instructions should have pointed that out. the lean stop adjustment is arbitrary...that's the purpose of the guage. the solenoid plunger should travel 4/32" but that distance can be all over the range of adjustment. so...to center the adjustment properly, you set the lean stop with the guage before you even install the float...then after reassembling the top (airhorn) of the carb, you make a travel measurement through a hole on the airhorn with another tool and you adjust the rich stop to achieve the 4/32" plunger travel. the tool for turning those screws is called a double D wrench.

as for your idle speed...i believe you have a vacuum device on the lever side of the throttle called an ILC (idle load compensator)...these need to be checked and adjusted properly...also you could be hung on the fast idle cam or the choke heater may not be heating up properly.