Improving Car Acceleration

Old 04-23-04, 07:40 AM
desiGuy
Visiting Guest
Improving Car Acceleration

hey guys

I own a eclipse'99 (auto transmission) ... it runs great, but I would like to know how can I improve its acceleration/pickup. Installing TurboChargers is one method, do u guys know any other methods???

thanks much in advance

desiGuy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-04, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
There are any number of ways to improve performance such as a turbo, internal engine upgrades, NOS, etc. Problem is most, if not all, of these performance enhancements have a tendency to greatly shorten the life expectancy of the car. You can't just slap a turbocharger onto an engine that was not originally designed for the higher stress of turbo operation without paying a price in shortened life.
Best bet, trade it in on something DESIGNED for better performance.

My $.02 worth.

Old 04-25-04, 10:11 PM
desiGuy
Visiting Guest
thanks bro

Old 05-09-04, 10:49 PM
poppalizerd
Visiting Guest
if you put on a smaller crank pulley and a bigger altanator pulley it will have better take off thats the cheap route
still expensive but cheaper then a chip
you can find performance pulleys it wont damage car and if you do happen to put on a chip get a colder thermostat it will save engine life

Old 05-10-04, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by poppalizerd
if you put on a smaller crank pulley and a bigger altanator pulley it will have better take off thats the cheap route
still expensive but cheaper then a chip
you can find performance pulleys it wont damage car and if you do happen to put on a chip get a colder thermostat it will save engine life
Changing the pullys will also cause the alternator to no be able to keep up with the electrical load at idle causing the lights to dim severely and eventually drain battery if left to idle. The power steering and A/C may have problems at idle also.
You can not put a colder thermostat in am OBDII car. It won't go into closed loop and will cause many driveability problems.