Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electrical drain

Visiting Guest

04-23-04, 09:04 AM   #1  
Cantex
Electrical drain

1995 Chev CK1500, 4.3, auto. Had to jump start one day, thought may have left an interior light on or something then everything seemed to drain. Had a friend replace the alternator and I've replaced the battery. When signal lights are turned on, the voltmeter needle flickers with each click. When the a/c or heater fan is turned on, the needle drops, fan on high is about equivalent to former fan on low. Even when I step on the brakes, I can notice a slight drain on the system. Engine seems very weak.
What is my problem?

Rick

Sponsored Links

WV

04-23-04, 09:30 AM   #2  
Try checking/replacing the voltage regulator.

04-23-04, 01:31 PM   #3  
Start the truck and measure the voltage across the battery cables it sould be 13.5 to 14.7.Is the truck idling as fast as it should.If you got an el cheapo alternator it could be the problem.I suggest A/C delco remans for GM products.

04-23-04, 03:22 PM   #4  
Most of what your describing seems normal. Like Davo said, just put a digital voltmeter on the battery with the engine running. Check it both at idle and 2000 rpm with the accessories off. If it's dying overnight, you may have to check for a draw. If you need to know how to do that, post back and we'll give you instructions.

Search this Thread