1989 toyota corola wagon

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-04, 06:31 PM
Cool 1989 toyota corola wagon

i went out to car ,would not start ,used jumper pkg to start car ,within 10 mins on rd car stalled had to jump again ran all day after that no problem starting or running, today started car ran 5 mins car stalled .used jumper would only click.bought new battery, was talking to old classmate he said if you want to test if battery or alternator start car and disconect one side of battery if car still runs it was the battery if stalls its the alternator is that still true for todays type of cars . before the car satalled the raido was going off and on and then wipers were going real slow, and the clock light was starting to dim .

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-04, 07:39 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
What Your Friend Said Is True For The Older Cars But,not For The Newer Cars...i Would Have The Battery Tested Under A Load And If That Checks Out O.k Have The Alternator Tested Too.but It Sounds Like To Me Bad Altenator.

Old 04-23-04, 11:35 PM
Exclamation

That wasn't a good test even on older cars. Tha alt uses the battery to deterime charge rate. Without a battery present it goes crazy and will harm itself and other electrical componets.

Have your battery and charging system checked. Sounds like the alt is ng. Check the fuses too.

Old 04-24-04, 06:22 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
toyotaman you know baCK in the 80s if we thought the alternator was bad first thing we did pull that battery cable off.

Old 04-24-04, 09:54 AM
Fordman

Not every one in the '80's or even going back to the '60's pulled the battery terminal off to check an alt. There was test equipment that was used, first one I used was a VAT-40.

Old 04-24-04, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=jim millett was talking to old classmate he said if you want to test if battery or alternator start car and disconect one side of battery if car still runs it was the battery if stalls its the alternator is that still true for todays type of cars .[/QUOTE]

No, no, no, no, no
You can do a lot of electronic damage doing that to todays cars. It never really was a good idea to do. Have the battery tested with an inductive type tester. (I think I spelled that right) They are very accurate.

Old 04-24-04, 06:35 PM
I say no

I also say no lots of damage to electronics can happen your battery is an important part of the system not only does it store power is dampens spikes if they happen.
I have back in the 60s did that trick but cars were a lot more forgiving of stupid thing people would do to them.

Old 04-25-04, 02:09 PM
ok i get the hint tks,l must be showing my age lol

Closed Thread