Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Whining sound

04-24-04, 01:22 PM   #1  
Whining sound

I have a 1994 Mercury Sable wagon. It has 89,000 miles on it. It has just started making a whining sound from the passenger side front end. The whining starts at about 35 MPH and disappears at 60 MPH and higher. I think it is a front wheel bearing. Does that sound right? Is it hard to replace.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

04-24-04, 02:39 PM   #2  
It's pretty easy to determine if it's a wheel bearing. Just get up to speed that brings out the sound clearly and swerve from side to side. It will get louder on the side you are turning away from and quieter in the other direction. Swerve left, noise gets louder, bad right front bearing. If there's no real noticable change, it's likely something else. I can't remember if that changes the whole hub or not. If it doesn't have changeable hubs, it's much harder because it has to be pressed out.

04-24-04, 04:21 PM   #3  
Yes it does change sound as you swerve from side to side. This will be the 3rd time I have had to have to passenger side wheel bearing replaced. Is there another problem that would cause the wheel bearing to keep failing?
thanks

Visiting Guest

04-24-04, 05:19 PM   #4  
daisuke
is your suspension working ok or do you drive over bad dirt roads a lot?

04-24-04, 05:40 PM   #5  
Posted By: Cre2002 Is there another problem that would cause the wheel bearing to keep failing?
thanks
Have you made any modifications to the suspension or wheels such as rims with more offset? Is there any collision history that could have left the knuckle bent? Alignment could be an issue but it would have to be pretty bad. Not too many other things come to mind on that vehicle, assuming they are being installed correctly.

Search this Thread