Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Remote oil filter line gasket

Visiting Guest

04-24-04, 02:31 PM   #1  
Antony W. Serio
Remote oil filter line gasket

I have a 1988 Chevy S-10 4x4 pickup with a 4.3 L V6 engine. Lately, I have been noticing an oil leak coming from the lines going to the remote oil filter mounted on the driver's side fender. Replacing the upper gasket on the lines going to the filter was not difficult. However, I also have an undetermined oil leak coming from somewhere else on the engine. I believe this leak could be coming from the lower end of the remote filter lines where they connect to the engine. The problem is that this connection is in a very difficult position to get at. The front differential, exhaust manifold and steering gear are all conspiring against me here, giving me less than an inch of clearance to get at the oil lines from below. I can not even see the lines from above, thanks to the exhaust manifold. The factory service manual does not tell how to get at the gasket, and Chiltons and Haynes don't even mention anything about it.

It looks to me as though I have three options:
1) Put the truck on jackstands and remove the wheel, so I can get at the gasket from the side.
2) Remove the remote filter adapter and try to move it to where I can remove the gasket.
3) Remove the front driveshaft to give me more clearance (I hope I don't have to do that).

Has anybody out there done this before?

Sponsored Links

04-25-04, 05:43 AM   #2  
You will have to most likely have to do a combination of all 3.There is no easy way to do this job it's a pita plain and simple.Just don't get frustrated it's doable.

04-25-04, 08:48 PM   #3  
Oil leak

The oil lines for this configuration are prone to leak where the rubber is crimped to the metal portions. Cost for a new oil line set is about 85-90 bux (remote filter to engine block) about 60 bux for the set (remote filter to radiator). I just replaced mine (92 Blazer 4.3 "W") what a PITA! But I did it in just under an hour, the hardest part was routing the new lines. You prolly want to replace these as they do have a tendancy to blow under pressure, and that is not a good thing. To remove the lines from the engine block, from under the Blazer, I came in with a 6 inch extention and a 4 inch extention and a 10mm swivel socket.

VA

04-26-04, 04:54 AM   #4  
i've repaired more...

..of those leaking by replacing the seals at the adapter to block and on the bolts that attach the adapter to the block as well as the two seals for the lines to the adapter...it's best to do all of them at one time because it really is a PIA

Search this Thread