91 grand am quad 4 turns over wont start

Old 04-26-04, 10:46 AM
91 grand am quad 4 turns over wont start

Good day,

A couple of years ago I put my grand am into storage mode. I filled the gas tank, put her up on blocks, and let her sit. I got lazy and did not start her up monthly. I want to move her to a new location. I installed a battery from my current vehicle, and turned the key. It turns over but does not start. It has got a full tank of gas. I would appreciate it if someone could recommend what I should try. Its got the weird quad 4 motor. In a regular car i would have poured some carb cleaner down the throat, but this is not easily possible on this model.

thanks

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-04, 01:09 PM
fuel pump turning on, do you hear it in the tank? Did mice get to the wires while it sat. Check for fuel, spark and air. Did mice or birds build a nest in the air intake? Check all the fuses, changing the battery may have poped a fuse... Don't you love when someone just rambles random thoughts....

Old 04-26-04, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by 89blaze
Check for fuel, spark and air.

That isn't all that simple with that engine. That has a unique ignition system. To be able to check the spark, you'll have to remove the large cover on top of the engine. When you do the coils and everything will come off with it. In order to check for spark your going to have to use some kind of jumper wire from the spark plug terminal attached to the cover. A very common problem in this engine is for that white plastic case holding the coils to crack and arc internally. You'd have to isolate things down to lack of spark ONLY for that to be possible. You can try just squirting some carb cleaner into the intake throat to see if it's a fuel problem.

Old 04-26-04, 07:34 PM
While your in the area of the plug wires, coil towers ect..pull the plugs, and squirt a couple drops of oil down each cyl. Rings may need to "reseat" after sitting so long..

Old 04-26-04, 08:39 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
replace the crank sensor.

Old 04-27-04, 10:51 AM
diagnose it first...

did you treat the fuel before you parked it...i've seen many engines that sat for long periods and the injectors gummed up...electrically they work but mechanically they don't. i wouldn't just throw parts at it...

Old 08-16-04, 08:18 AM
Lack of fuel stabilizer

Hello,

Ok it looks you nice folks have narrowed down my problem. I did not put in fuel stabilizer when I stored the vehicle. Now what? Do I try and remove the gas somehow, or can I add something to the fuel to get it to work?

thanks

bill

Old 08-16-04, 08:30 AM
unfortunately...

it's probably not going to heal itself. sounds like you may be at the point of having the tank out to drain it, flush out the lines and remove the injectors fro cleaning. stuff you can do yourself but may be easier faster to have a pro do. the tricky part will be cleaning the injectors...which requires pressuring them with a solvent and activating them electrically to get the solvent thru them. this trick works but the success rate isn't 100%...at least in my experience.

after some basic testing for spark, injector drive (turning on and off) and fuel pressure, only then will it be safe to assume you have gummed up injectors. i'll bet if you smell the fuel, it's nasty smelling. you could also put a small amount in a flat container in a safe place (outside and away from ANYTHING flammable) and try lighting it...if it won't burn in open air, it won't start your car engine. good luck...