94 Chevy Trk. no spark

Old 04-27-04, 08:53 AM
94 Chevy Trk. no spark

94 2500 series 350 5.7 L, Chevy PU. No apparent spark. New coil, new M.A.P. sensor, .....replaced cap, rotor, rotor. plugs and wires last summer and appear to be as good as new. Retrieved code 33 and code 74 from computer and then replaced the M.A.P. sensor. The girl at autozone didn't recognize what code 74 was but thought it was something to do with the transmission. Still will not start. I can see fuel squirting out of the injectors when it is turned over. I have not replaced the part in the distributor with two sets of wires on it that looks like I would expect to be points in a old distributor. Could that be the problem? When it was still running it would act like it was going to stall for a split second or backfire and then later just die completely and turn over sounding like there was no spark at all but if you let it sit for several hours or overnight it would fire right up. A week before this started happening, I made a short two mile trip with the lights on. when I stopped, I could smell something just like the smell when you forget to release the parking brake, you know that asbestos hot metal smell. I thought maybe a brake was dragging so I checked each wheel but no smell coming from any of them nor could I smell it in the engine compartment. I thought maybe I was about to lose the headlight switch and it has'nt happened since. Any help is appreciated. THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-04, 01:37 PM
Are you getting spark? if not you can check the coil, module-uses two small bolts to hold it to the base of the distributor and has two plugs into it (use AC delco parts, i learned the hard way), Pickup coil-white ring around the dist shaft which plugs into the module.
I just had a problem like this and it turned out to be the module. I used an Accel part (high performance sounding but cheap as shat, spend $75 bucks for the good one), which was causing an intermintant stall condition. It would not start after getting hot and would stall out while driving.

Old 04-27-04, 04:17 PM
Thanks!

Thank you, 89 blaze, for the help. There is nothing like the voice of experience when you face a problem.

Old 04-28-04, 05:10 AM
While you're at it, price the cost of a reman distributor, versus the module...Many times the cost is almost the same, and this way you'll not only get a new module, you'll get a new pick-up coil also...
"2 birds with 1 stone..."

Old 04-28-04, 02:29 PM
Thank you

Thanks msargent for the advice. I have already replaced the module and the truck runs. It doesn't run perfectly which gives me the impression it could use the pick up coil too. From the looks of the instructions to replace it I can see why you recomend just getting a remanufactured one. Thanks again!