Where can I find ...

Old 04-27-04, 06:12 PM
vvyar
Visiting Guest
Smile Where can I find ...

Would anyone happen to know where can I find fuel delivery schematics or exploded view of Cummins 8.3 L and it's high pressure pump?

Thanks, guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 07:57 AM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
one idea is to call the dealer that the vehicle came from dodge ford peterbuilt etc. and if you have access to a fax machine ask if they can fax them to you i have had similiar problems with getting info in the past and that was the only way to get some of the info

however i work in the auto trade so they may just be extending a curtassy but it may be worth a shot

Old 04-30-04, 09:17 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
an 8.3L is not sold by any dodge dealers, the only place that would have that information would be freightliner.

however, taking apart that pump, called the "injection pump" is the equivalent to brain surgery. it controls every function of the engine(similiar to a computer) and if a spec of dust the size of .0001 of an inch gets in there, you might have very big problems. the injection pump comes from the factory 'sealed'. if those seals are missing or tampered, all warranties are voided and most shops won't even work on them after that.
being in a dodge dealer, we have never had a single one apart. we remove them from the truck, and send them to a large diesel specialty shop (in allentown PA) and they do their magic to them. the spec sheet that they provide is quite impressive, all the flow rates and pressure are almost identical compared to the 'before' specs. these are set with shims and springs.

on your previous post, you asked about getting diesel into the motor oil. the injection pump is the most likely way for that to happen, however it's not the only way.

if you do decide to replace the pump, it needs to be installed and timed with a dial indicator and very specific adapters, as timing in degrees is set in thousanths (.001) of an inch and takes a few hours to do.

the reason for the sealing of the pump, is if dirt gets in there, it can affect the mechanical governor and cause it to stick. one thing that can happen from that is for the engine to 'run away', meaning rev higher than you can imagine until it literally blows up. that's why very few shops are equipped to overhaul a pump.