Do I need a rebore?

Old 04-28-04, 12:06 PM
Do I need a rebore?

My '98 Ford Windstar 3.6 V6 has sustained a scratch on one of its cylinder bores. It's not very deep and was caused by a broken con-rod with the gearbox sitting in 'park' and being tuned over on the starter motor only. (A freek situation). Anyhow, I've checked the motor out and there's no damage, other than the slightly scored cylinder wall. You can feel the slight gouge with your finger nail but there are no protruding sharp bits.

If I fit new piston rings - (or use the old ones and original piston as they're not damaged either), and replace the con-rod, what are the chances the engine will continue to operate normally? Or will it need to be rebored?

Will it burn lots of oil, foul the plugs, cause crankcase compression, etc. What are the pitfalls?
I live in a remote location, cover small distances (2,000 miles per year) and am not looking for perfection.

Expert comment would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 04:27 PM
If you hone the cylinder and the damage is not to deep it may work ok for the limited use the vehicle sees.Not the perfect repair but I've done it before in a pinch and it worked for me.I would use new rings though.

Old 04-30-04, 09:42 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i agree with davo, hone it out enough to make it smooth, not disappear. then with your new rings, all you need to do is make sure their endgaps are within specs, when they are in the cylinder and measured with a 'feeler gauge'.

when i bought my (old) truck, one of the cylinders was rust pitted pretty deep. i honed it enough to smooth it out(not disappear) and with new rings, it's gone about 30,000 miles with no oil consumption issues.

Old 05-01-04, 01:11 PM
Thanks Guys

Just like to thank you two guys for your replies. Makes me feel a little more comfortable to do what I had in mind.

Old 05-01-04, 03:22 PM
Glad to help sorry it took a little time to get back to you.