Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

62 Chevy carb

04-28-04, 02:21 PM   #1  
62 Chevy carb

62 Chevy Impalla 283 w/2-barrel Rochester
Choke sticks, idles kinda iffy (till it warms up), blows black smoke, and multiple fuel leaks visible on the carb
I'm going to replace the carb but I am worried about adjusting after it's on
Is there anything special involved?
It seems like this is a pretty straightforward swap but if anyone has any tips or heads-ups I'd appreciate it
Thanks in advance-

Sponsored Links

04-28-04, 06:47 PM   #2  
Should only be 4 adjustments on it; the float, the mixture screw, the idle and the choke.

Most rebuilds come with base adjustments pre-set.

Once you get it on, if you still need help, give a holler.

Matt

04-28-04, 08:33 PM   #3  
Thank you very much!
It's on order so it'll be few days before I can try it
I'll post back with the results

05-24-04, 11:52 AM   #4  
easy-outs on carb studs?

Well I finally got the correct carb
It seems this engine is a '64 and gets a divorced choke carb that was used for a few
I just pulled the old one off and of the 4 studs on the intake manifold, the front 2 are toast
One nut just fell off (with the stud in it) when I touched the wrench to it
The other is so worn away at the manifold I can't believe it didn't break off

The question is: Does anyone know if I can use easy-outs on these studs (well, stud remains) and replace them or do I need to remove the manifold and bring it to a machine shop?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks a bunch

WV

05-24-04, 05:58 PM   #5  
Honestly on something that old, you should take it to a machine shop as they will have to drill out the remains of the old studs and probably even have to install helicoils to bring the manifold back to usefulness. As for the carb, why dont you just rebuild the old one? These carbs are super easy to rebuild as well as adjust.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

05-24-04, 06:31 PM   #6  
Billy's right about taking it to a machine shop. A very experienced tech may be able to repair that in the car and still be straight. It would be very easy to ruin that mainfold with inexperience. As for rebuilding it yourself, I would definately advise against. The main ingredients for a good rebuild would be the acid like solvent to soak the body in and the compressed air to clear all the small passages thoroughly. The adjustments aren't hard for a tech but may be hard for a first timer. If you buy a rebuilt unit I would expect the only thing you'll have to adjust would be the idle mixture. Just warm the engine up and adjust each side to the highest RPM atainable, then set your base idle.

WV

05-24-04, 06:45 PM   #7  
I agree, if you dont have experience to do so by all means dont attempt the rebuild. This is one of the first carbs I rebuilt and it was really easy to me and that is why I made this bold suggestion.
Billy

05-24-04, 07:34 PM   #8  
Thanks guys,
Off to the machine shop it is

Actually my first thought was to rebuild the carb, although I have replaced many with rebuilts, I have never rebuilt one myself
This looked like a good (simple) one to try
Then I found the rebuilts were pretty inexpensive so I thought I'd pop one on and look at the original(?) for possible rebuild at my leisure

The local NAPA sells a small pail 1/2 filled with solvent just big enough to fit a carb in and I've no shortage of compressed air
Any good reading suggestions on old Rochester carb rebuilding?

Thanks again!

Search this Thread