Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

99 Dodge 1500 4wd

Visiting Guest

04-29-04, 04:47 AM   #1  
hillbilly_man33
99 Dodge 1500 4wd

I am in the process of changing my control arm bushing (8) and just happened to break one of bolts (Lower front the threaded side has a flat side and the other end has grooves set in it for the washer). My question is this. Do these bolts serve a certain purpose because they are different than the others? Also these bolts are the only ones that have washers on them.

Sponsored Links

04-29-04, 09:25 AM   #2  
The front bolt on the lower control arm is the cam bolt for alignment adjustment. I know aftermarket kits for these can be hit-or-miss at times, although I can't recall ever installing one on a Dodge; someone else may know of one that will do the job effectively. I'd recommend O.E. replacement for it, and make sure it gets aligned when you're done.

Visiting Guest

04-29-04, 09:44 AM   #3  
hillbilly_man33
I am not sure about that because my control arms on this are mounted on the axle so I cant really see any reason for adjustment. Although you are about the fifth person that has told me to get it realligned after completeing the work. Thank you for the info.

04-29-04, 10:03 AM   #4  
On that design, it would be caster adjustment only. Is the bracket slotted where it mounts? Regardless of that, I would still suggest O.E. replacement on the bolt vs. trying to match it up from a hardware store.

Visiting Guest

04-29-04, 10:30 AM   #5  
hillbilly_man33
I agree and I just ordered one through the local dealership ! So you do think it has something to do with Caster. I guess I should have marked it before taking it off. Thanks for your help!

Visiting Guest

04-29-04, 10:33 AM   #6  
hillbilly_man33
Is the bracket slotted where it mounts?

Yes it is.

04-29-04, 10:43 AM   #7  
Yes, that's a caster only adjustment cam. As for marking it, you can probably get it back pretty close from the washer marks on the bracket. I don't think camber is adjustable at all on those trucks.

Visiting Guest

04-29-04, 10:54 AM   #8  
hillbilly_man33
I still have one side to go so now I will no to mark before I take it off. Thanks for all the info!!!!

Search this Thread