Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

93 olds cutlas siera head gasket

04-29-04, 06:41 PM   #1  
93 olds cutlas siera head gasket

Just bought a 93' oldsmobile cutlas siera 3.3l v6, with 137K. While changing the water pump I couldn't help but notice how dark and brown the coolant was. I suspect a head gasket is blown, but my buddy is convinced it's just "really dirty".

Is there any way to tell for sure if the head gasket is blown, and if so, whether it's the left or right one?

Sponsored Links

04-30-04, 04:11 AM   #2  
you could have a block check test ran or take it to a shop where they could use an exhaust anilizer to see if any unburned gas or hydro carbons is getting in the cooling system, if you are currently having no problems such as coolant loss or overheating i would imagine the cooling system has just been neglected and needs flushed.

04-30-04, 05:00 PM   #3  
I really don't understand why you are suspecting a head gasket here. Dark coolant isn't even a symptom of head gasket problems, just a dirty cooling system. If the cooling system was filled with water instead of coolant for any length of time, it will start a rusting process that will be hard to clean out. Just flush the hell out of it and refill it with clean coolant.

05-03-04, 06:01 PM   #4  
the reason I suspect head gasket is b/c I always heard one of the signs as being oil in the coolant, or vice versa (oil on the dipstick looks milky). When I said the coolant looked really dark, I meant it looked like it had a bunch of oil in it. Also when I rub my fingers together after dipping them in the coolant, it feels like theres oil in the coolant.

05-03-04, 06:32 PM   #5  
Now, that's a different story. Do you have any coolant in the oil? That's generally what happens with a blown head gasket. If you truly have oil in the coolant, it will make a gigantic mess, not just a little slimey. Either way, I would still flush the coolant and change the oil and then just monitor what happens. Oil will be obvious in the coolant. It will float. There are other ways to get oil in the coolant also. It can also be trans fluid. Does it look reddish?

Search this Thread