ford water pump

Old 04-29-04, 08:09 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
Post ford water pump

i am changing the water pump on my 88 bronco (full size with the 5.) and am kind of unsure about a few things this is not a new venture for me i have worked on cars proffesionaly for a few years just not this old or this stock in quite a while
first do i need to put sealer on the pump to plate seam and is it a dry gasket between th plate and block (meaning no sealer) or do i use pematex on that seam

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 03:16 AM
I would use sealer as "insurance". Word of caution on this type of set-up be careful not to hit the pump loose with a hammer. Try to pry between the pump and timing cover.

What happens is some of the pump bolts also hold the timing cover to the block. Disturbing that seal will cause a leak between the timing cover and block

Old 04-30-04, 07:51 AM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
Question ford water pump

i am also trying to locate an oil leek on the same engine ,there is at least a 50% chance that the front cover is the leak point. also the dist seal as there is oil on the top of the cover and intake manifold.

the point is how bad is it to change the front cover gasket and chain and the dist seal.

before you answer one more thing i have access to tools and a garage for this repair and dont want to worry or open it up again.