Security light problem

Old 04-30-04, 03:21 AM
William Lewis
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Security light problem

undefined
Can anyone tell me why the security light comes on and I cannot start the car for several minutes thereafter? Checked the owners manual and did as told. But is happenening more and more.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 03:24 AM
William Lewis
Visiting Guest
Security light problem

[QUOTE=William Lewis]undefined
Can anyone tell me why the security light comes on and I cannot start the car for several minutes thereafter? Checked the owners manual and did as told. But is happenening more and more. Is it mechanical, electrical, what?
92 Buick LeSabre

Last edited by William Lewis; 04-30-04 at 03:37 AM. Reason: To include make/model
Old 04-30-04, 03:38 AM
Well, it's a little difficult to answer your question because you didn't even tell us what kind of car you have. I'm a little familiar with the GM version and it pretty sophisticated. They have a lot of problems with dashboard clusters causing problems but there are many more possibilities. That's definately not a job for a DIY. Your going to need an auto electric specialty shop or the dealer for that one.

Old 04-30-04, 04:04 AM
the most common problem with these was the wires breaking at the key and tumbler causing it not to read the chip in the key, which requires new key and tumbler and new coded key that matches your old one.

Old 04-30-04, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by bejay
the most common problem with these was the wires breaking at the key and tumbler causing it not to read the chip in the key, which requires new key and tumbler and new coded key that matches your old one.
Your referring to a "Pass Key" security system and you would be correct on that system but I think he might be referring to a "Pass Lock" system which is an entirely different system and doesn't use a resister in the key. The "Pass Key" system merely locks out the starter but the "Pass Lock" system will shut down the injecters immediatly after start-up.
Does the starter crank?
Which symptom do you have?