Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dodge Problem

Visiting Guest

04-30-04, 12:12 PM   #1  
MustangMama
Dodge Problem

Besides owning a 69 Mustang, I have a crappy 1993 Dodge, Spirit.
4 cly.
Front wheel drive
A/C

I'll try to make this brief. Got into the car and turned the key. No sounds at all. Dead silence. I pushed the car by hand a few inches and tried again and it started up fine. A good friend said that it may be the starter/seleniod. His wife had the same problem and replace both the parts. Her's is fine now. This does not happen all the time so it is not stopping on the maybe missing teeth. So...... yesterday, I got into the car and the same thing happened again. Instead of pushing the car, I put it in nuertual and tried to start it. It started up fine. So.......... which do you think it is. The starter/selenoid or the nuertual switch? For got exactly what that is called. Thanks
P.S. Battery is NOT the problem.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-30-04, 09:24 PM   #2  
mike from nj
when the neutral switch is bad, it won't start in any gear.

your problem sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment. the next time it won't start, try slamming the shifter into park, or simply put pressure on the shifter (further into park) and see if it starts. if it does, then you know it's an adjustment problem.

Visiting Guest

05-09-04, 12:30 AM   #3  
poppalizerd
change your distributer cap and rotor button first its cheap i had this happen on dodge have your coil checked at a auto zone or local autopart store to see if its faulty then if it still does it
id replace the sarter get one with solenoid already on it
replace whole thing could be bad ground on solenoid too check it before replacing

05-09-04, 02:55 AM   #4  
Posted By: poppalizerd change your distributer cap and rotor button first its cheap i had this happen on dodge have your coil checked at a auto zone or local autopart store to see if its faulty then if it still does it
id replace the sarter get one with solenoid already on it
replace whole thing could be bad ground on solenoid too check it before replacing
Maybe they should drop another motor in there while their at it too. You don't solve problems like this by throwing every part you can think of at it.

Visiting Guest

05-09-04, 06:57 PM   #5  
MustangMama
your problem sounds like the shift linkage is out of adjustment. the next time it won't start, try slamming the shifter into park, or simply put pressure on the shifter (further into park) and see if it starts. if it does, then you know it's an adjustment problem.
Yes, I do believe this is the problem. I negleted to say in my post that when I had work done on my car beofre, the guy's fixed that problem. It was really off. The shift would almost be in reverse. etc....... I guess it is slipping again. I had a new head cylinder put on and that's when I discovered the shift off. It happened one more time and I put it in N and it started. Next time, I will pust upwards on the shift handle. Thanks for your reply's.

05-10-04, 03:42 AM   #6  
Those older Fords were notorious for that problem. Hold the shifter up with your left hand while you turn the key with your right.

Visiting Guest

05-10-04, 04:53 AM   #7  
MustangMama
Yep, at least till I have it set right again. It is not a major problem as as I had said, does not happen often. Well, yet. When I had it at the garage before, they went into the colum and set it right for me. That was about a year ago. I know the owner so I don;t think he would charge me much at all to do it again. I'll just tell him that it was not really right after they did it a year ago.

05-10-04, 02:46 PM   #8  
Posted By: MustangMama I'll just tell him that it was not really right after they did it a year ago.
That's a real stretch..........

Visiting Guest

05-10-04, 02:50 PM   #9  
MustangMama
LOL Yea, maybe.

Search this Thread