Smoking tail pipe

Old 04-30-04, 06:46 PM
jresendez
Visiting Guest
Question Smoking tail pipe

My Chevy s-10 is giving me a headache. I had problems turning it on. When I finally got it turned on it rattled a while as if it was going to turn off so, I press on the gas to keep it on. White smoke started coming out of the tail pipe and continued all the way home. What could be causing this? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-04, 07:29 PM
Ooooooh!

White smoke all the way home? How far?

sounds like a possible head gasket is blown - lets water into engine.

fred

Old 04-30-04, 07:38 PM
jresendez
Visiting Guest
Fewalt: This sound bad.

Where is the head gasket? Sounds very bad. I want to know as much as I can before I go to a mechanic. Or is this a do it yourself project?

Thanks,
J. Resendez

Old 05-01-04, 05:05 AM
jresendez
Visiting Guest
Cool Fewalt??????????

What is a head gasket?

Old 05-01-04, 07:42 AM
The cylinder head gasket is located between the cylinder head (Where the spark plugs are) and the engine block. Sometimes you can see the edge of it 'peeking' out.

A reputable shop should be able to diagnose a bad head gasket in about an hour or less depending on the test they use.

If it's blowing as much white smoke as you say, it most likely needs replaced. STOP driving it, cross your fingers and hope you didn't do any more damage by driving it.

Matt

Old 05-01-04, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by jresendez
My Chevy s-10 is giving me a headache. I had problems turning it on. When I finally got it turned on it rattled a while as if it was going to turn off so, I press on the gas to keep it on. White smoke started coming out of the tail pipe and continued all the way home. What could be causing this? Please help.

Are you forgetting to tell us that you overheated it the last time it was driven?

It doesn't happen the way your describing it.