Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tranny ID problem

Visiting Guest

05-01-04, 11:36 AM   #1  
stumped04
Tranny ID problem

I'm back again with my 84 Pontiac Parisienne! This time I'm trying to find out what kind of tranny it has! (is there anything on a Pontiac easy to identify or fix?!) First, it IS an automatic, and it has overdrive. Cannot see usual seril # locations due to obstructions (except it isnt on the shaft area) Haynes manual shows 4 pan patterns and mine matches none of them! The pan is mostly square with 16 bolts. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-01-04, 12:17 PM   #2  
stumped04
Think Auto Zones website answered my question (THM 200-4R) Maybe they dont have the best house parts, but they have exellent info on their website! Now I have another question...looks like a support cross-member bracket is blocking the rear bolts to the pan. Obviously, the bracket has to be moved out of the way. Can I somehow remove just the bracket or does the whole cross member have to be loosened/removed?

05-01-04, 03:46 PM   #3  
If you have wobble bars you can work around it.Most folks don't have them however unless they do it for a living.Wobble bars are extensions that allow you to work around slight corners.

Visiting Guest

05-01-04, 08:55 PM   #4  
stumped04
Thanks Davo! I don't have any but I do have access to them. I'll give it a try.

Search this Thread