Plastic Parts repair

Old 05-02-04, 06:14 AM
Plastic Parts repair

Since I seem to be plagued by auto parts that are either made of plastic or have nuts and bolts inbedded in plastic that seize up and break where they surround the bolt, I wondered if there was a STRONG plastic epoxy out there that I could purchase. I have used plastic bumper repair epoxy with some success, but it remains flexible and sometimes the part requires no "give" to anchor the part correctly. I have tried JB Weld, but it tends to crack with any torque at all applied to it. Any suggestions, Ideas (besides buying hundred dollar new assemblies?)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-04, 06:24 AM
Go to a auto body supply store and ask for 40-40 it is strong stuff and sets quickly.I know because I break stuff on cars.

Old 05-02-04, 11:32 AM
Plastic Parts repair

Thanks! Is there a brand name that you prefer? (I didnt think I was the only one who broke *&%# plastic parts)

Old 05-02-04, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by davo
I know because I break stuff on cars.
HAHAHAHA

You ain't alone........

Old 05-02-04, 03:19 PM
Hey,

Enlighten me. I live in Brooklyn, NY and recently I hit a pothole going maybe 0 (zero) mph. It was the area around a manhole cover, so the asphalt was recessed and the manhole stood out. The car took a huge dip and I scraped off a good gouge into the bottom of my front end (bumper). I'm pissed, 'cause I drive a "pretty" car. Could this epoxy stuff help me do my own body repair here? Could a sand of the gouge shavings and throw some of this epoxy stuff in there and smooth everything out. Then throw on some paint and my car will look a little better? If so, where could I find a black mica car paint (would I have to buy paints and mix them to get the mica effect?) I suppose it would'nt be too hard to get a clear coat as well? Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences? . . . the usual.

s. cashmere

Old 05-02-04, 04:29 PM
I'm afraid there's not much that's going to help you on that one. The problem is the bumper cover is a flexible material and anything rigid will just peel and crack. It even takes special paint for that.

Old 05-03-04, 08:00 AM
That makes sense Desi. So, if I really wanted to be anal about it and get it fixed, a body shop is the only way to go... or would I have to replace it?

Old 05-03-04, 08:03 AM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
get a free estimate from 3 body shops, then price the parts from a dealer and see which you prefer.

Old 05-03-04, 07:44 PM
No, no, no. . .if it could be repaired by a body shop then there's no way I'll buy another bumper cover (you kidding me). I only figured that since I couldn't fill the gash then it probably couldn't be repaired. But, the gash isn't too deep and maybe it could be shaved off (via sanding most likely), then painted (with the special stuff, which I'm sure will cost me about the same as an Iraqi oil well). Or, maybe I'll explore the world of Mazda Protege5 aftermarket front moldings and spruce up the little lady. Thanks for the input though brother.