Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anti-freeze leaking

Visiting Guest

05-02-04, 07:56 AM   #1  
Day Nam
Anti-freeze leaking

Subject: 1998 Dodge Caravan, 4-cylinder, 2.4L., 100,500 miles.
Yesterday, as my van was idling in the parking lot, a passer-by informed me that the anti-freeze was leaking from my van. Upon my inspection, a puddle of coolant was on the ground and the leak continued. The leak appears to be coming from the right side (near the serventine belts) but I could not see exactly where. The leak is definitely not coming from the radiator or the hose. When the A/C was turned off, the leak subsided. Since I was 2 hours away from home and on Saturday night, I decided to drive the car home without the A/C on. I monitored the temperature guage to make sure that the engine did not overheat during the trip. Got home OK.

This morning I wanted to take a closer look at the leak. I had the engine running with the A/C on for about 10-20 mins. I was able to duplicate the leak in the same area (could not see where; maybe near water pump?). At the same time, I noticed that the temperature gauge was pointing high. Shut off the engine immediately. The radiator fans seemed to be operating properly.

What type of problem am I dealing with????

Last edited by Day Nam; 05-02-04 at 07:38 PM. Reason: mileage information is added.

Sponsored Links

05-02-04, 11:39 AM   #2  
Your describing the water pump area.

Visiting Guest

05-02-04, 07:17 PM   #3  
Negoshe8n
You don't say how many miles are on your van. Neverless I would pull the water pump and replace it. Most auto stores offer lifetime warrantied water pumps.

05-03-04, 02:32 PM   #4  
Posted By: Negoshe8n Most auto stores offer lifetime warrantied water pumps.
Don't fall for that hype. The parts are usually junk anyway and they don't cover the labor which is most of the job. Buy a name brand NEW water pump like a Carter.

Visiting Guest

05-03-04, 08:03 PM   #5  
Day Nam
Thank you all. I had a reliable auto repair shop replace the water pump. At the same time, the timing belt was replaced. Problem solved.

Search this Thread